Too many GB in SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twscarp, Nov 19, 2014.

1. twscarp macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a noob and got a new MBP 13 Retina/128SSD, a couple weeks ago. Problem is the SSD is already 47GB full. I have about 5500 pictures, but nothing else big, that I know of. When I first started it up, I was prompted to update to Yosemite, which I did, but is there a copy of Mavericks on the SSD? Then I tried Windows Migration Assistant using a ethernet cable to transfer pictures and email files. This added another user account to deposit the files. Well I couldn't find the pictures so I deleted that user account. Is that deleted account also on the SSD? Then I tried WiFi to transfer, couldn’t find them either, deleted another user account. Finally used an external HD via UBS and it worked. Could the Mavericks OS, and three deleted user accounts be bloating the SSD? Thanks for any thoughts and recommendations. Now my computer is coming offline, sounds like the Yosemite bug.

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Mavericks should not be on there.

When deleting the user accounts, OSX asks you if you would like to keep or delete the user data.

Trying using the free tool Disk Inventory X to see what is taking up space.

3. twscarp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks boast, I bought DaisyDisk, and it shows 19.8GB of deleted user data. That sounds about right. Have to go to Best Buy tomorrow and get a Seagate 500GB external HD, as I have not backed up anything yet. Then I suppose, that I should drag the deleted user data to the trash in DaisyDisk right? This WiFi bug is getting bad, had restart a couple times just to write this post.

4. twscarp thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, backed up, went to DaisyDisk, deleted the deleted user data, now I'm down to a nice 28GB on the SSD, thanks.