Too many idevices, what to sell, what to keep?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mindyish, Mar 9, 2012.

1. mindyish macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3GS 16 GB old bootrom unlocked for T-mobile running 4.3.3 (never got around to updating to ios5. This is my main phone.

I also have a 32 GB iphone 4 which seller updated to ios5 putting it at BB 4.11.08 making unlock impossible for me so I have only been using it for the storage and an ipod and games for my older son from time to time.

Then, my brother who impetuously signed up with AT&T got 2 8gb 3GS's for him and his wife and only used a month and a half before service was shut off. I got them off him for an insane price!!! Quite a deal. They are on 5.0.1, jailbroken but not unlocked. Didnt want to put irreversible ipad BB on there since they are still under apple warranty.

I also have an iPad 2, 16gb wifi only.

Also 2g ipod touch which is kinda banged up but works fine.

All of these (besides the main 3gs I use and itouch) are in excellent condition. I am having a hard time deciding what to sell, what to keep.

I have hung onto that darn iphone 4 for 6 months now hoping for an unlock as I love the 32 gb capacity and the retina display after using 3gs for so long. However, I am wondering if its pointless.

I have considered selling the 2 3gs's and putting that towards and unlockable iphone 4. Or, selling the 2 3gs's and the iphone 4 and just getting the 4s but seriously I dont care about siri, but the better camera would be nice.

I also have considered selling the ipad 2 but wouldn't buy the newest until a jailbreak is available so no immediate plans for that.

Maybe I should just sell all I am not using and put all the cash into a fund for my next apple product be it a newer iphone (maybe the 5) or the new ipad later on. Or, just keep a 3gs since if something happens to mine, I am out a phone since I rely on an unlock so having at least one spare would be smart.

What would YOU do with all of these iDevices?

2. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

You have answered your own question.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Here, I made a list of your devices for everyone else because it was too much reading :p
    1. iPhone 3GS 16 GB
    2. 32 GB iphone 4
    3. 8gb 3GS
    4. 8gb 3GS
    5. iPad 2, 16gb wifi
    6. 2g iPod touch
    But hrmm, yeah, I'd say sell what you can and save for your next Apple purchase

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It's not clear from your post what is on contract and what isn't. If nothing is on contract, why not sell it all and buy a 32 GB iPhone 4S and a 32 GB iPad 3 and have cash to spare?

I've learned the hard way that holding on to tech stuff for too long can be a huge mistake. I've still got palm pilots, an old blackberry and a plethora of iPod touches and the like cluttering up my house. It's a form of hoarding to hold on to so much stuff. Well maybe not simply hoarding. Part of it is being too busy to get around to properly wiping those old devices so I can sell or donate them.

5. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Well, it seems you need 2 device:

A phone/pda
    A tablet

Therefore, i would keep the 32GB iPhone 4 and the iPad, sell the rest. That would be my move. Its leaving you with 2 valuable device that you will still be able to sell in the future, maybee toward the next iDevices

6. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

I'd sell it all and buy a 32gb "New" iPad and a 16gb factory unlocked iPhone 4S.

7. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

keep it all then sell them in 15 years for 15 x the original price to a collector

8. cvaldes, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

cvaldes macrumors 68040

Sell them all, just buy the new stuff.

Or just keep your prepaid dumbphone and buy a used HP TouchPad. Sink the rest of the money into AAPL shares.

9. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Keep the iPhone 3GS that is currently on T-mobile since that is your primary.
    Keep the iPad 2 16gb, wifi as you can use it for many things just like the iPhone 4 right now.
    The iPod touch you won't get anything for it so keep that one.

Sell the iPhone 4 32GB since it not unlock able and get rid of the 2 3gs.

10. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Keep the Unlocked iPhone 3GS since, as a user previously stated, that is your main device.
    Sell the iPhone 4 since it's of no use to you locked.
    Selling the 2 8gb 3GS's BEFORE warranty runs out, they're definitely worth more this way.
    For the iPad 2, keep it if you use it daily, sell it if you don't
    As for the iPod Touch, maybe you can make use of it in your car, gym, etc.,.

Just what I would personally. Sell all devices, pocket the money (maybe save it for the iPhone 5 :p).

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Sell everything for an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4 that you can use on tMobile.

12. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Nice one. :cool:
    But its true that after buying a few thousand in apple stuff, I did buy AAPL stock. I'm as satified with the product than I am in the stocks :D

13. mindyish thread starter macrumors member

Would selling ALL give me enough cash to get an unlocked iphone 4 and ipad 3? I didn't think it would is why I never considered that.