Too many ****ing tabs on my Google chrome!!! How do you deal with bookmarks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SHNXX, Nov 9, 2014.

1. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I have a huge problem with tabs.

I usually have about 200 pages open at any given time and because I use Chrome, which is not very efficient, it slows my computer down quite a lot

How do you guys deal with tabs and pages that you want to look at later?

2. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I just don't use Chrome for that reason. It uses too much RAM when opening more tabs, and then my mac comes to a grinding halt.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Reading List in Safari.

Maybe there's a Chrome extension like that in their store...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://getpocket.com

I use an online bookmark service called Pocket (there are many others). They have a Safari and Chrome extension both. I just click to add the page to Pocket then read there page later in their iOS app or web page. I use it like you said as sort of temp bookmarks without cluttering up my "real" bookmarks in Safari.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

"Oh, I'll read this later":
    1. Copy URL to clipboard.
    2. Paste into a TextEdit document.

Later...
    1. Copy URL from TextEdit document.
    2. Paste into browser.

Simple, effective, doesn't care what your browser is.

If one is highly motivated, one can also write a Service that will appear in the right-click contextual menu of YOUR_BROWSER_HERE. Then you just right-click on the link in YOUR_BROWSER_HERE and choose that menu-item. One obvious way to write that Service is to have it append the URL to a TextEdit text file.

In the years that have elapsed since Mac OS X 10.0, I have not been motivated enough to write such a Service.

6. mcsolas macrumors regular

That sounds cool. I switch browsers a lot and if it wasn't for my pref. for the way FF handles bookmarks I would use Chrome full time.

Either way, for this idea or some similar ones.. if you have time could you point me in the direction where I could learn more about making services you can activate via right clicking. (I want to make it so I could right click any image file and it would auto resize it and export it to desktop).

7. chown33 macrumors 604

In Automator, click the Automator menu.
    Choose the "Display Automator Website" menu item.
    Your browser will go here:
    http://www.macosxautomation.com/automator/

Look around on that website. Here's the section on Services:
    http://www.macosxautomation.com/services/

I strongly suggest learning how to make services that perform simpler tasks, rather than immediately trying to make the service task you want. This will teach you principles using known working procedures, which you can then apply later. Metaphorically, learn to swim in shallow water before jumping into unknown waters.

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

For the life of me I just cannot imagine why one would want 200 tabs open. I can barely comprehend 20. I'm not trying to be critical at all, I just wonder what the perceived benefit is.

9. mcsolas macrumors regular

Thank you! This looks very interesting.