Too Many issues .. Request Replacement ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aerove, Jan 31, 2010.

1. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

Hey guys, Its been long time since i've posted here. Well currently i have a C2D 2.2 SR macbook pro under applecare... i've been having too many issues of late,

1.) Doesnt wake up after going to sleep, so i open the display and i can see that the fan is running fast and the laptop is hot but the screen JUST wont wake! damn.. and when i close the lid i can see a constant white light from the LED . Also, to revive the display all i can do is to restart it.

2.) While restarting, sometimes it doesnt start the display.. for that i have to 'Kickstart' it like you kickstart or jumpstart a old car..lol.. so basically i gotta remove the battery and connect it directly to power, and try starting it . it wont , for sure .. it never has worked the first time.. then i gotta do is try again and to restart it.. pull the power and connect back and try and it works once in ten times.. yesterday,, i put it to sleep (as the battery ran out ) and when i tried to wake it didnt! damn lost all my data.. (i'm in grad school) luckily i had my work saved else !! :eek: and it would just not boot

3.)the fan whines tooo much.. like i can hear it all the way in the kichen and the hall if the laptop is in the bedroom and all thats open on it is the browser.. its sooo loud its annoying to work on it too :(:(:(:(:(:( i cant get anything done because of the high pitched whine.. and sometimes i hear a light cluttering sound... its even worse...

4.) Also i keep seeing graphic artifacts.. like for instance if i was video chatting on skype and after a while i go open safari.. instead of seeing the window with the 12 top rated website windows i see graphic artifacts with the major portion of the screen..these artifacts contain mostly junk from the previous skype chat or a movie i was watching earlier...

5.) also, the battery doesnt last more than a hour and 20 mins..

So what i wanted to ask is should i ask applecare for a replacement computer instead of sending it in for fixes ?

I already had two issues addressed with the laptop.. 3 including the battery which was replaced already...

those were green lines on the lcd and a screwd up superdrive...

So what would u guys suggest.. Thanks!

2. thirdykal macrumors member

Wait for the refresh to come later this month, that's what I'm doing. I've got the middle Mid-2007 Macbook, under AppleCare which if replaced would net me a base 13" Macbook Pro. I've had one hard drive, one motherboard (for both the sound card and ethernet dying), one fan, one superdrive and the casing replaced (for cracking around the sides and a loud clicking noise from the trackpad button) replaced. My new fan sounds like a jackhammer ripping apart the inside so it needs to be replaced, my hard drive keeps corrupting and can't repair so I need to constantly reinstall OSX and my ethernet port died today so I need a new motherboard.

I called up an Apple representative, and he told me that significant hardware failures include: screen, hard drive, motherboard and superdrive. Battery as far as I can tell, is not covered by AppleCare because I had to buy my own instead of it being replaced for free. Take it to Apple after the refresh comes out, and if it turns the waking/restarting problem are hardware errors, then you should push for a replacement definitely. Doesn't hurt to try to get a brand new 2010 laptop out of Apple.

3. Jez27 macrumors member

Keep in mind though that there's no guarantees that you'll get a replacement for a NEW (either one of the refreshed WHEN they come out, or a current C2D uMBP) machine because of the faults.

Only way of getting it sorted is to talk to an Apple rep over the phone, or take it into a store & the guys at the Genius Bar and get them to take a look. Explain all the issue's you're having and, if they suggest to get it fixed - hopefully under the Applecare - suggest to them that you'd rather get it replaced, if that was at all possible, because you're afraid that with that particular unit, you're afraid of similar problems down the line.

Like I said though, don't bank on waiting until after the refresh to be handed a new model as a replacement. Apple doesn't work that way. If there's a refurb model close to the spec you've currently got, or at a similar price, that's more than likely the outcome. Or you can pay extra for a newer one. Who knows. Only Apple themselves will be able to tell you.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Apple will NOT replace a problematic computer with anything other than a brand new computer. I have had two replaced due to problems and had a AppleCare representative tell me they will not replace a computer with a refurbished unit.

5. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

my question now is.. should i just call applecare or someone higher up the chain like customer relations ? dunno if the applecare reps would actually understand the pain!:(

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I think they only replace them if you have the same issue 3 times, right? So for example you said you already had to get your LCD replaced. If it messed up a third time then I think that's when you would be eligible for a replacement computer.

Don't wait either. Just take it in to a genius bar and see what they say. Maybe you can sort of hint to them that you want a replacement, but I don't think they would replace it just yet.

7. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

thats what i'm thinking.. but i dont want to be stuck with a lemon.. i mean now with the issues it has.. the logicboard has to go.. the graphics chipset has to go.. so potentially the complete internals will go.. so i'd rather have a different comp than the guts replaced in this guy.. and also i live in a small town and the nearest apple store is like 90 miles away :eek: so the only way i can do it is to call up applecare... hmm i think ill give it a shot today and see what happens

8. auero macrumors 65816

I had issues with my macbook pro about 2-3 months ago.

1.) One day the screen wouldn't turn back on so I had to hold the power button to turn it off... but it wouldn't turn back on. Took it to the store they said it was the logic board, after waiting a week they said they replaced that and it didn't work and that it was the display, replaced the display still nothing. Finally they discovered the POWER button was broken. Go figure.

2.) Went on vacation, on the plane I turn the computer on and suddenly it turns off at boot. Try again, and it keeps shutting off after 12 seconds. Send it to apple, they return it scratched up and with the HARD DRIVE replaced. Now the thing is, I had my own hard drive installed. When I sent it to them I sent them the original hard drive with a perfectly clean install of leopard that I never used so why would they do that? The problem still pertained. I sent it AGAIN

3.) Third time I was seriously pissed off and said this is taking too long, the guy on the phone (Mike) said he's sorry and that he can't do anything but take it for another repair. I told him this is unacceptable and I shouldn't be put through this. I asked for a replacement but he said "Usually we need three repairs before we can talk about that. I did flip on him and it wasn't right but I was very frustrated. I later apologized as that was very wrong of me and said let's try again. I sent it back, a few days later I get it back in WORSE SHAPE after he noted to be extremely careful with the machine.

When they put the machine together, it wasnt even screwed together properly!! The thing was half assed put together and there was grease all over it with MORE scratches. I called Mike right away and calmly explained and he apologized and said they're sending me a new mac right away and I had the ability to upgrade to a higher model if I wanted to pay the difference (ex. 17" model).

So in the end I got the latest rev macbook pro (current) after six months of use WITH the transfer of my remaining applecare to the new machine. Am I happy? Sure, but would I do it again? Hell no! I went a month back and forth without a machine and it was a huge hassle but they did make up for it.

Hope this helps, I'd call apple directly and see what they can do as the store probably wont offer a replacement. Don't quote me on that though.

9. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

Damn it happened again.. i put it to sleep yesterday night.. i wake up in the morning only to find it back in that dreaded state.. wont turn on.. just makes the startup sound with nothing on the display,,, i kept trying for 15 mins before i gave up as i had to get to school.. i'm soooo pissed.. :(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. migsev macrumors regular

With my experience, I called the AC hotline who then passed me to a customer relations rep. Can't hurt to try. If you really need the computer, might as well do it now. You'll still get a free upgrade if they end up replacing it now.

11. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

UPDATE : i gave a call to apple and they said that since the laptop previously had only two fixes, they cannot replace it, however he did mention that the logic board is faulty and i'll have to bring it in for getting fixed. Damn, now i'll be stuck with a $2k+ worth laptop wit refurb parts...

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Lol your MBP is not worth $2000 anymore. Being used and old I'd be surprised if you could get anything over 800 for it.