Too many newbies opening threads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by cube, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cube macrumors G5

There are too many threads opened by newbies. One doesn't know which are legit anymore.

There should be a minimum post count required.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The mods do a pretty good job, there is the report button or just ignore them?

3. cube thread starter macrumors G5

One clicks on many threads opened by newbies. The question seems reasonable, but one doesn't know if it's just somebody wasting our time our with an agenda.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then just ignore said thread. Can you give an example?

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Some examples?

The logical solution seems to be to just delete it?

6. cube thread starter macrumors G5

No, the best solution would be a preference "hide threads opened by newbies".

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is nothing wrong with threads by Newbies, since many of them are just people looking for an answer that they haven't found elsewhere.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...there are plenty of newbies who start legitimate threads, there are plenty that don't search as well. We were all once there. And, the second user to register on this site is still a newbie.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

alot are questions that have been answered numerous times before

10. cube thread starter macrumors G5

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

More specific? I almost feel as if you are just trying to waste our time...haha...

There are just too many logical responses that don't seem to warrant a thread on this.

12. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

We've talked about the minimum post count thing before and as much as it is a good idea it hurts people that need help with genuine issues in a hurry. Just the other day I posted to a thread that had the EXACT same subject, info, results etc, as a thread just three days prior. It drove me crazy and it makes me want to put the search link in my sig. It must be frustrating being a mod. I think we're in the middle of the post WWDC rush and I hope it's over soon. I remember seeing many "What does the 'S' stand for???" threads and plenty of questions that could be answered with the first result of a two word google search. :/

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Again, how about some examples of said abuse?

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, but the simple answer is that if it really annoyed Tallest, MacDawg or miles0101001 (the numbers confuzzle me), we would not post. Rather the four of us post on the same thread with nearly the same responses and links to other threads/mroogle...

15. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Besides the obvious spam and scam-advertising ones, I just saw too many asking the same questions or that have some anti-Apple connotation to it.
    I don't want to see them anymore. I'm tired of clicking on them.

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then stop clicking.​

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The spam and scam ones half the time are gone before I even have a chance to report them via Forum Spy Stalking, the others are gone in relatively quick fashion. Also they are obvious, don't click on them.

The same questions are also easy, don't click on those.

And the anti-Apple ones are relatively interesting and usually have differing arguments, but again, don't click on it.

This thread seems even less valuable then all of the ones you complain about.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

who is miles lol never heard of him

but really, these redundant questions are quite annonying, esp when a simple google search would have answered or a previous thread

i hate how people put no effort into finding answers on their own but instead ask right away

its one thing to search and then ask, quite another to just ask without searching

19. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That's just the way a forum is, it just like real life with people asking dumb questions all the time. If you don't like it, then don' t reply. If you are seeing duplicate threads use the post report button, and possiblly include a link to the duplicate/same topic thread, and the mods will take care of it promptly. Moderators may not see every post/thread to see if there are duplicates, but if we do our jobs and report a post/thread when we see a problem it will make their jobs a lot easier.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I agree with you on this, but it's odd how people get flamed for reviving old topics. Especially ones about like "hey ______, I saw that you bought this/these a year ago, who are you liking it now"

And then, five years just reply with "good job reviving a six year old thread" without posting anything substantive.

21. cube thread starter macrumors G5

The problem is answering to troll posts, not to a repeated question from a legit user.

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then stop answering, and choose Report Post ([​IMG]) instead.

23. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I'm a newbie to this forum and don't see it as an issue. It's just how people are. Either you search and that is what you should do with this great forum. But perhaps your question is not really answered or the threads are dated. One example is the dated sticky "2.0 or Lightroom" in the Digital Photography section. No useful info just dated opinions. Sometimes a question needs to be asked again for relevant info and help. Then again we all have read our share of "which model of 13" MBP should I buy". Yes, they are many and no new info is given, but then don't answer them or click on them.

I for one live by Google and search engines most of the time but hey we all make stupid and useless post in our time on forums. What we don't need is forum members thinking they are admins and moderators. That we have the real admins and moderators for.

One thing I would like is the choice of deleting your own posts, now you have post with nm instead.

24. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Now I almost always check if it's a newbie before answering, but I plainly don't want to see them anymore. There are too many.

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...well, let's say you answer a troll post. People actually read the threads thats why the post to view ratio is different. Someone might actually learn something useful? But, why is not clicking so difficult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.