Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fluxkom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a time and finally got some money to finalize the switch.

But debating on the pros and cons of the different setups I would love to hear some advice.

Situation:
Me and my wife both own PCs 4 and 6 years old. My wife got a new 22" TFT for christmas from me.

I'm pretty much settled with the 24" iMac but kind of undecided what to get for my wife.

She does some photoshop, audio editing and will be doing video, too.
We have two childs, both under 2 years so a mobile option would be cool, as she would be able to do some work in the living room, while keeping an eye on them. She also does occasionally gaming, WOW in special.

So the options are:

• Get a MBP that can run WOW on the 22" flawlessly and also offers mobility for her and me when I'm on the ocassional business trip.
  • Get a 20" iMac and use the 22" as a secondary monitor for great justice!
  • Get a MB and play WoW with sub par fps on the 22" but have increased mobility. Also get a Wii for fun :)
  • Wait if there is a new mini with decent gfx in June, get it and save 1000€ total for something totally different.

What's the perfect play here? :confused:

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
Get the MBP and don't wait on a new mini. I personally don't think that even a new mini will compete with the graphics of a MBP. If not for your productivity needs as well as gaming, I'd say get a MB for ease of portability, but the MBP will not be that much harder to carry, and you'll have more screen real estate.

naid

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
+1 for MBP. Even light gaming on a regular MB to an external monitor will be excruciating. You won't notice a difference between carrying around MBP vs MB.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
If your wife is into all kinds of digital creative arts she's not going to know what's hit her!!

Don't count on anyone getting a look in!!:p

MBP seems like a great fit for such a mobile diverse family.

That said, a 24" iMac setup in the living space would equally be nice - no wires, no boxy towers - opt for the wireless mouse and keyboard and you have a very neat setup only needing a single power lead - quick and easy enough to move from the kitchen table to the desk etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.