too many questions...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jarrodtb, Oct 13, 2010.

1. jarrodtb macrumors member

I have a JB iPhone, but don't have a fundamental understanding of some of the ideas and terms. Is there a good spot to read some of this? Here is what I'm dealing with:

I have somehow actually been locked out of my iPhone 4 running 4.02 and JB. I am going to have to do a complete restore, but don't want to upgrade my baseband in the process. I have run TU... but I just hit the display SHSHs button and it only shows 4.0 listed as a cached file. I'm worried that I dont have 4.01, 4.02 and 4.1 listed.

The bottom line is, while I understand some of the ideas of JBing, I dont understand what the term baseband actually refers to, what the TSS server means and does, or that Im even using TU correctly to save the various SHSH blobs to give myself maximum flexibility should I need it.

Can anyone shed any light on these issues, or point me to a place where I can read some basic info on all this stuff? Also, what's the best process for upgrading to 4.1, without upgrading my baseband? I was planning on waiting to learn and use Pwnage Tool on Sunday as I'm a mac user, but now need to use either GP or LR as I dont want to be locked out of my phone until Sunday. I know, such a ridiculous situation...

Thanks for any help.

2. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Just pick relevant threads here and start reading. Don't overlook the stickies at the top of the page.

3. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I am a mac JB'r so I cant be a lot of help, but I think if you want to upgrade and keep your baseband you need to use TinyUmbrella and not itunes to upgrade. Please check my info to verify, but that is my understanding.

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

In high level terms, an iPhone, actually any SmartPhone, has 2 major components.

1. The 'Smart' part that runs the apps, manages the display, etc.
    2. The 'Phone' part that talks to the cellular network. The modem in the phone is what does this.

Each part has underlying software (the phone operating system) and microcode (modem firmware) that accomplishes this. The software in the modem is what people refer to as the baseband. On your iPhone, the release level of the baseband is under General---->About and is shown to the right of the Modem Firmware label.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

TU only shows blobs that are stored locally. Which means you have to request them individually while Apple is signing any given firmware. But by default TU requests your SHSH blobs from cydia's server, because of this cydia stores you ECID for the purpose of requesting your future blobs automatically. You can open cydia to check if you have 4.01, 4.02 or 4.1, it should show you at the top. Or you can use TU to request a copy of your blob for cydia under advance options. This will query cydia for it and return it if they have it saved.

Baseband is the software the controls the radio in the phone and TSS server is TU acting like it Apple's signature server to fool itunes into restoring to a firmware Apple is no longer signing.

TU can prevent the BB update if your in a rush to update or you can choose to wait for pwnage tools. Either way will work so it's up to personal choice.

6. jarrodtb thread starter macrumors member

So, the way to do this then would be to use TU to actually restore to a "regular" copy of 4.1... where TU would be preserving the baseband, and then JB after this TU affected 4.1 was installed? Or, is there an alternate 4.1 ipsw I would need to use that TU would sign for me that preserves the baseband?

Thanks again...

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

LINK follow this guide to preserve you BB when updating.

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Here's the way I did this. I had run TU several weeks ago and backed up SHSH for 4.1 to Cydia. Unbeknownst to me, TU had updated my host file (Windows 7) to point to Cydia and not Apple.

In iTunes

1. Right click on iPhone and Backup.
    2. Click on Restore which installed 4.1 but left the baseband alone
    3. After the Restore finished with a 1004 error (baseband update failure) I started TU to kick the phone out of Recovery mode.
    4. Started Limera1n
    5. jailbroke
    6. Several reboots to get Cydia installed and delete limera1n from the phone.
    7. Restore from backup.

All done, except for re-installing all my jb apps for which I used pkgbackup.

9. jarrodtb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for everything

10. jarrodtb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry... one last question, I think.

In the guide linked above it referenced restoring to a certain ipsw while using TU. Is that a specific ipsw I should download somewhere that is cooked to not update the baseband, or is it just the stock 4.1 ipsw from Apple and TU completely handles the work around for the baseband?

Sorry.

11. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

No, it's the stock FW.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Here some stuff for you to read and get a better understanding of the terms used around here: Jailbreaking FAQ and commonly use terminology, + Guides

About your specific case, try to request your SHSH from Cydia, it may be that you don;t have the copies locally. Use the Advanced check box, pick firmware 4.0.1 and request from Cydia and run it. that will download a copy to your hard drive.

You can also use the TSS server to upgrade to 4.1 (that will allow you to keep your current baseband) and them JB with Laimera1n or Greepois0n.