Too many thumb nail pics

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Hankmac, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Hankmac macrumors member

Hankmac

Over the holidays we had a bunch of enjoyable FaceTime sessions. During many of those sessions we captured too many screenshots and we now have over 150 of them as screen Icons. We want to save a select few and trash the rest. Is there an easy way to get them to display a bit larger for easier selection and mark the ones we want or don't want and trash them. With 16 Gb of ram my 27"iMac has become very sluggish and this may be one of the reasons.
    Thanks
    Hank

2. Bear macrumors G3

If I understood you correctly, you have over 150 files on your desktop? If so create a folder and put them in a folder and then worry about sorting through them.

3. Hankmac, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

I did that and after it started it indicated that it would take 6 hours to copy 147 files. So I stopped it and now have a copy of about an additional 70 of the same thumb nail icons on the screen! Help, this would be too slow and there has to be a better way?
    Thanks
    Hank

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You don't want to copy them to the folder, you want to move them.
    Moving them, no matter how many, is almost instantaneous.
    After selecting the files, drag them to the folder, there should not be a '+' sign indicating a copy showing, if there is then press the 'Alt' key while dragging and the '+' sign should disappear indicating a move.

5. Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

So how do I do a mass move? I highlight the all the icons and I see ways to copy but not move.

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

As mentioned in my previous post...
    "After selecting the files, drag them to the folder"

7. Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

It was easy to drag move one file but I couldn't drag move selected files. I finally succeeded by using Finder >File >New Folder With Selection and it opened a new unnamed folder moved 142 icons in a flash and then I named the folder. It worked great. I also found that if you right click on the screen you get New Folder then you can go to Show View Options and Resize icons and the grid etc.
    I'm done but not by dragging a selection of icons.
    RAM usage went down to 3Gb from 12Gb.
    Hopefully I won't see the beach ball spinning.
    Thanks
    Hank