too many wi-fi devices causing router problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carl201167, Jun 11, 2009.

1. carl201167 macrumors regular

My wi-fi signal keeps failing in the house, but the fixed connection is stable.

This might well be a stoopid question, but can too many wi-fi devices cause a router to go unstable?

In the house we have four macs, two iPhones and three airport expresses. The router is the standard one that comes with O2 broadband in the UK and has been pretty reliable until the last couple of weeks

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

At least in the US, the 2.4GHz band is very crowded, and interference is a major problem. You could start by trying a different channel on the router and making sure it has the most recent firmware.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Oh yea, I run into this problem living in apartments where I can see about 30 different wireless signals. I use apps that can scan the signals and see what channels they are on then choose the least crowded channel. I'm sure it'll be even more of an issue once more people move to 802.11n, which can reach farther meaning you'll be picking up even more signals. Though I think there'll be more channels on n as well.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Living downtown my wireless does not work at all. Who would have thunk that you would be left without internet in the heart of a metropolitan area.

In other words the city Wi-Fi screws everything.