too many wifi signals

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobbypotluck, Sep 7, 2009.

1. bobbypotluck macrumors member

I need some help figuring this out. I'm in an apartment complex where they provide ethernet but no wifi. Everyone has their own routers (all locked of course) and so do i. Lately my wireless router has been dropping (not the signal, the actual internet) randomly forcing me to plug and unplug the router. I've been messing with all the settings with no avail. Could it be all the wireless signals interfering with each other or conflicting IP's with everyone using the same internet source in the complex? what settings should i mess with?

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Try changing your airport broadcast channel to a specific channel in Airport utilities.

Edit: maybe you're not using an Airport at all.

3. bobbypotluck thread starter macrumors member

actually, i now have two routers hooked up to test(both quite old, one is only 802.11b compatible, one linksys one netgear, both plugged into separate ethernet plugs in wall). Ones on channel 1 the other on channel 11. They both seem to work fine when one person is connected, but when one of roommates connects at the same time, it slows to a hault to the point of having to reset. wired internet to both routers works without a hitch(have an xbox plugged in), its something with the wifi. maybe having trouble assigning IP addresses?

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Sorry, can't help you further but it looks like you are posting this in the wrong area. Try posting here for more help.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

If one of your direct neighbors has a cordless phone that could do it, too.

About a year or so ago my mom came home with this new cordless phone for the house and I warned her that it was a bad idea to hook it up. She didn't listen, and then every time we got a phone call the wifi would go out. :rolleyes: