Too much Calcium in Soy milk?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Feb 2, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Such as the brand, "Silk" soy milk?

I was looking at the nutrional value on the back of a Silk soy beverage container and it says you get 30% Calcium per 250ml servings.

So would you agree that the amount is a little extreme especially if you drink say a litre a day?

- Too much Calcium can cause kidney stones and other health problems.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think it's pretty safe to say that too much of anything is not good for you.

There needs to be balance. :)

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

So long as you are not drinking loads of it, I don't see the harm. It's not THAT much calcium. I would be more worried about the phytoestrogens present in soy than calcium.

Be sensible and don't overdo it.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Fellow Silk fan here, and yes, moderation is key. Besides, it's always a good idea to diversify your sources of any nutrient, including calcium. You can try fortified orange juice and broccoli.

However, avoid spinach for calcium intake. Spinach contains oxalates which inhibit absorption of not only its own calcium, but of calcium of other foods eaten with it. This also affects iron intake. I'm not saying avoid spinach entirely; simply count on getting your calcium and iron from other meals if you do.