Too much clutter?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by uMac, May 14, 2008.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

I think my site is too cluttered, could use some suggestions on how to realign the same information but better.

Thanks,

(Website in Sig).

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Ways to reduce clutter feeling
    • Increase white space. Between columns as well as padding from the edge of the content area.
    • I find the navigation text to be horribly small and barely readable.
    • I'd eliminate one of the right hand columns and only provide the most useful information in the remaining column. Move the rest to it's own page where it can be better presented. This will allow your content to take more precedence on the page.
    • Using a lighter color font can reduce the cluttered feeling, though don't go too far from black, maybe something in the #222-#444 range.
    • Increase line height of the post header information and increase font size of the post title. Having clear divisions between sections helps a visitor's eye move around the page more fluidly.
    • There's a bit of dead space on the page, especially around the images in the content. Centering the images would help that.
    • I'd personally increase the font size of the content text.

3. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Done and Done.

The New and Improved site can be seen here
    Hyper Photo Cube

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Nicely done, you did quite a few changes to the general color scheme. I like the new design over the last and think you met your goal of reducing the cluttered feel.

5. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I have also made a few sub-domains for other minor interests, keep them clutter free too. So much better.

Now I can focus on Content and Traffic.

6. Freelancer macrumors newbie

7. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

It's a free, open-source wordpress template.

8. Freelancer macrumors newbie

i knew that, thanks. :) i didn't imply it was a copy, it's just i wondered apart from the minor tweaks (post titles size, ie), what were the changes made.

9. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Not many changes were made, as you can see I customized the side bar. Beyond that I haven't changed anything.

I am working on a customized template but it takes some time and I have other projects, and the copyblogger scheme does look nice.