Too much computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1974muff, May 10, 2011.

1. 1974muff macrumors newbie

hi. i'm a mac virgin, and can't decide which mac to get. basic web browsing and music downloads are what i'll be using it for. so do i get the base 27' imac or 13' or 15' macbook pro? portability is no issue. for the type of work i'll be doing, i don't want to get a mac that would be "under-used".

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If that's all you're going to use it for, a bare-bones base model will do you just fine. Add an SSD to make it super duper fast.

3. Akack macrumors 6502a

That's basically all I do as well but portability was key for so I opted for a refurb base 15" since I found the 13" a tad small. Maybe also consider the 21.5" iMac?

4. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

New MBP 13

Advanced technology. Get it with a SSD and you won't regret it. It will do light or pretty heavy lifting.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

yup another vote for base model with SSD. This should be perfect for your needs, you wont need too much processing power and you won't need an exteme amount of RAM... The SSD will make your experience much faster when opening programs and browsing through files.

Personally I would reccomend the 15" MBP if you are not going to be carrying it around, its perfect for using in the house, you wont be tied down to your desk... (nothing like surfing on your couch or bed while watching tv or just relaxing) and the screen size is perfect.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Unfortunately, the only way to get larger than a 13" screen is to get "too much computer". Even the 13" screen basic white MacBook is "too much computer" for your needs if all you are doing is web browsing and downloading music.

That is not to say your user experience will not be better with more computer.

7. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

8. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Portability not an issue
    suggesting macbook air

whyyyyyyyyyyy

9. AsLongAsItsTech, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

AsLongAsItsTech macrumors newbie

AsLongAsItsTech

Im a laptop guy so even if portability is no issue i say still for the Macbook Pro. Also you should take your budget into consideration. If you can't spend a lot get refurbish and dont get SSD. If you can stretch it get SSD. If money isn't an issue well go nuts lol.

Also if you need it to be fast, but dont wanna add a SSD to a MBP get the air refurbed for under 999.00 and you'll get a SSD anyway