Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pelcom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2016
Hello everyone!
I have noticed that everyday my new Black Ipad pro 9.7 to get a white haze of fingerprints. Ok, i know that this is normal but with my previous iPad 2 I never had this issue. Now i can see a lot. Do you have this issue on your Black or white iPads.Here you are a comparative with my previous iPad 2.

IMG_1626.JPG IMG_1627.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Thank you for you help!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This is likely due to the difference in screen treatments. The iPad pro screen is supposed to have more friction than the previous ones to help with the feel of using the Pencil. I suspect this also contributes to finger oils being more readily trapped on the screen.

It's not a major concern, just requires more frequent cleaning.

philpalmiero

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
NOVA
I noticed this difference too. In fact specks of dust won't budge even with a microfiber. It takes water and the microfiber to clear the prints and dust.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I don't have the iPad Pro 9.7 yet, but I noticed my iPad Air 2 shows finger prints way more than my iPad 2 and 3 did. The iPad Air I had was in the middle. The coatings changed on each to make them more anti-reflective or as others pointed out for pencil support.

Also that is one advantage of the white bezels is it doesn't show fingerprints on that part as much. Not enough to make we get white bezeled devices again, but can see that benefit.

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
Lol. Forums will be forums.

It does seem like this iPad gets much more oily. Put together that if you're using pencil, your hands are definitely on the screen much more than usual. If you can live with the screen degrade, get a matted screen protector. No more smudging and more friction for your writing. Otherwise, you'll simply need to wipe it down more.

frogger2020

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Hello everyone!
I have noticed that everyday my new Black Ipad pro 9.7 to get a white haze of fingerprints. Ok, i know that this is normal but with my previous iPad 2 I never had this issue. Now i can see a lot. Do you have this issue on your Black or white iPads.Here you are a comparative with my previous iPad 2.

View attachment 628813 View attachment 628814 View attachment 628815 View attachment 628816

Thank you for you help!
Clean it with a microfiber or wear latex gloves when you use it.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My iPad Air 2 seemed to show more fingerprints than my previous iPads, but my iPad Pro 9.7 seems to show less fingerprints than all my previous iPads. I do clean mine often with a microfiber cloth but there is very little to wipe off most of the time. I also have the white bezel on the Pro which helps.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I noticed my 9.7 iPad Pro shows prints worse as well. It's neither imagination or hygiene, as I can put it side by side with my iPhone and can see the iPad picking up prints much much easier.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but it definitely is a thing.

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
Sorry OP. Many of these responses have not been helpful nor have they responded to your question. Yes, I have the same issue as do some of the people that I work with. We've talked about it at the office, that none of us have ever seen fingerprint marks like this on the previous iPads.

Servan above suggested that it could have something to do with the non reflective screen. I had never thought of that. I was at the pool today for an hour and read easily in the sunlight, but maybe the downside is the fingerprints. I have an employee who is adding the Zagg, glass screen saver to see if that helps.

This is my fifth iPad and there is definitely something different in my experiences. Actually carry a microfiber cloth inside the case now. I'm thinking that the "invisible shield" could make a big difference.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.