Too much heating to give damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Nov 20, 2011.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hi everyone i have a 15" mid 2010, i5 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro.

I have installed Windows XP to a 40 GB partition via bootcamp, and because we all know the heating issues in Macbook Pros i installed a software for Windows which keeps track of the heating and warns you if it hits dangerous levels(i think).

So i've installed one of my favorite games of all time which i still didn't have chance to finish, because i want to finish it finally. Thing is, i started the game, everything runs smooth and all, graphics are nice, i am pleased with everything and all of a sudden a warning comes up from that heat control software which says;

Shutting down in 90 seconds because CPU heat is over 95C degrees. It gives me the option to stop the shutdown sequence. I really want to play the game what do you suggest me to do? Should i just ignore the warning or can it heat to a degree that burns my MBP making it inoperable?

Or is there anything i can do to stop the heating? Thank you all for answers.

Cheers;

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

My suggestion is to uninstall the temperature monitor and stop worrying, because it doesn't seem like you have an actual problem like many others that post about "heat issues" and their MBPs. Your machine will shut off it the processor gets too hot. That's when you know you have a problem, not before.

3. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

does that heat shutting down sensor work even though i am in Windows?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, as it built into the hardware.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

As about stop worrying your fans will step up when it gets to hot then the mb will shut down if heat is an issue. It is 110% hardware controlled so os does not matter.

6. Jashwua macrumors newbie

I wouldnt worry about the temperatures on the macbook pro on either OS, The fans do kick in once stuff gets too hot.

Ive seen my temps rise to 105 C on both OSX and W7, the fans kick in and the temperatures drop.

I would recommend keeping it off your lap when the temperatures do rise since it literally can toast your balls.

But if your really worried about your temperatures and wish to manually control the fans you can do so.

In OSX smc speed fan is useful, you can create presets that you can switch to with a click of a button. Mine are:
    2000 rpm
    4000 rpm
    5500 rpm
    6000 rpm

While in windows i use macfan - the project was abandoned but the program still works on W7. You have to be able to use the cd command in the command line and the rest is explained in the readme.