Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jallred350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Hey guys. New to the forums so I apologize if this has been asked a million times.

For those of you who have libraries that are too big for your iPod, what do you do to manage it? Last night was the first time this happened and I just let iTunes make a playlist for me, but I don't really like this because then my other playlists aren't available on my iPod.

Just curious what my options are.

Thanks in advance.

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
jallred350 said:
Hey guys. New to the forums so I apologize if this has been asked a million times.

For those of you who have libraries that are too big for your iPod, what do you do to manage it? Last night was the first time this happened and I just let iTunes make a playlist for me, but I don't really like this because then my other playlists aren't available on my iPod.

Just curious what my options are.

Thanks in advance.
Either do a manual update or uncheck the songs you don't wish to be copied.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I manage my music by using playlist. I have a smart playlist for newly purchased music, a smart playlist for favorite (one star or more) music, a playlist that selects 50 or so random songs (randomizes after a song has be listened to) and I have a final regular playlist that I just drag stuff into... I then have my iPod sync with those playlist (I also have a holiday one that I turn of and off). By using the playlist iTunes keeps track of play counts and ratings just like with the auto update function.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I have lots of playlists for different moods and occasions, and I just sync a selection of those to my 1G (4GB) iPod mini. I have an iTunes library that's well over 36 GB (on my poor iBooks 60GB HD, but I'm gonna burn ~4GB of the least interesting music to a DVD and remove it from the disk some time soon ;)). But I've never once actually wanted to hear a specific song that wasn't on the mini when I wanted to hear it... :)

The backbone of the playlists are the smart one that has my 250 top played and a couple of manual ones that just contains my current favorite music. I usually hav about 6-700 songs on my mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.