Too much non-Mac news.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Lone Deranger, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Is there a way to filter all the non Macintosh 'MacRumors.com News discussion' posts from the front page and MR Spy? There's just too much news that has little to nothing to do with the Mac and OSX.

iOS 4.2 beta, Wal-mart to carry iPad announcement, Japanese gaming firm acquires Ngmoco, Vodaphone breaking exclusivity in Germany, iPhone4 more prone to damage, MicroSoft unveiling Windows 7 handsets???

...just far too much for my liking.

Cheers!

ps. spare me the 'Just don't read it' or 'go somewhere else' comments please or any form of hostility. This is a genuine query from someone who's primary interested in Mac/OSX news.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's a understandable desire. I don't own a iPhone and don't care much personally about a lot of those stories myself either. There's no filters for the front page. Forum Spy does let you choose which forums to pull from though. Just hit the Preferences link in the upper-left area. That's the only level of filtering though.

3. Lone Deranger thread starter macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Thank you for your reply Angelwatt.
    I have indeed filtered the MR Spy feed to exclude the various forums I have no interest in and this works well.
    Let's hope Arn and his team can come up with a solution at some point.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This has been brought up multiple times before.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=955621
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=882796

plus a few others I didn't recognize instantly from the title. You need to accept that it's an Apple rumors site, so despite your plea to the contrary, "just ignore the stories you don't want to read" or start your own site to put what you want on it.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not to sound "hostile" but like any other news site, it will have stories that do not pertain to you (or me) and the only advice is to ignore it.

I mean when I go to msnbc.com or boston.com (my local news site), there are stories that I'm not interested in, I just move eyes beyond those and read what does interest me.

While your request isn't bad or out of line, I don't think there's any mechanism in place to do what you're hoping to do.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Maybe it's a technical solution that you're after, but really the issue is one of editorial decision-making combined with the relative current dearth of Mac-related news, much of which MR has little control over. Front page has to be kept fresh, driving traffic and discussion, Page 2 ticking over... and there are far more people here interested in the iPhone, iPad and related technologies than Macs these days. Like you, I'm also interested in Mac news, but find the other stuff occasionally interesting because now and then, I can learn something from it. My suggestions would include:

• Keeping an eye on MR's twitter feed or page instead of waiting for stories to turn up on Spy, this way you can can get a immediate overview of what's going on without feeling you have to check in here too often.

• Be part of the solution by taking 5-10 minutes each day to hunt out some stories to submit, thus raising the quantity of submissions that the editorial team has to work with. Even if it's not front page worthy, some can still end up being used in the MacBytes forum.

• Start some new threads of your own. Speculation may not make the front page, but it's fair game for the forums.

Personally, I'd like to see occasional editorial/opinion pieces here, even overviews of the state of various markets and technologies, but recognise some of the potential issues, both past and present, possibly involved with resources and market positioning. I also hope the pending redesign took a root and branch overview of content organisation, rather than just a new skin, building a new foundation for the future.

7. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

8. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

i suppose some people should be on duty to classify the threads. :)

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is the iPhone section for news but there is no Mac section :mad: I suggested adding it a while ago but got no input from mods/Gods.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=963723

I did hear that there is going to be somekinda filter system when MR finally gets its refresh. That may not happen during out lifetime though :D

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member