Too much of a good thing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skiff, Feb 26, 2012.

1. skiff macrumors member

I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on a MacBook 4.1 and have developed a peculiar problem. My postage stamp icon parked in its usual space in my dock displays the number thirteen in a red circle indicating I have 13 new emails. This is lovely except it displays 13 no matter what's in or not in my mailbox. How can I fix this?

2. simsaladimbamba

Quit Mail, then backup (copy to Desktop) and then delete "com.apple.mail.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / and then start Mail. Did that help?

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

This happened to me once.

First, check Preferences>General.

[​IMG]

Configure the "Dock Unread Count" to None, then back to whichever mailbox you wish to see notifications for.

Second, if it doesn't change after quitting and restarting Mail, quit Mail and remove it's icon from the Dock. Then add it back and start it again.

4. skiff thread starter macrumors member

Truthfully, I was too chicken hearted to try your solution. (simsaladimbamba).I had no confidence I could execute your suggestions without making things worse for myself.

Upon reading iDecker, I felt even I could manage his less formidable solution. I almost fell out of my chair when I succeeded first time out. I can't thank both of you too much for coming to my rescue so promptly.

I've resolved that after 50 more years of experience, I too will help those lessers amongst us who need help in dealing with such heavy issues.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto