Too much power

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mangolda, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Mangolda macrumors newbie

Hey
    Basically i switched to a Macbook in november and im having a bit of problem with my USB ports, every-time i plug my camcorder in to record to my mac it says its drawing too much power and deactivates the port until i restart it and it's happens again also sometime i plug things in and it won't pick up anything on a USB port plug it in another one and it's fine, not always but sometimes seems like there is no power in the ports or it's losing it ?

So anyhelp would be great im wondering do i need to ring/take to the shop maybe im worried i take it to a shop they see the ports working il just get it straight back when it will not work with my Camcorder ?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Try having your camcorder plugged in (as in to the wall) when you try to transfer videos and see if that fixes your problem.

3. Mangolda thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry forgot to mention tried running it off the mains so really it should have no problems but it's just not working with that as well

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Could also be the cable or the camcorder, if the camcorder is still sending out configuration info as a high draw device when it is running on the power brick -- it might not be an issue with the MacBook.

Might try looking at About this Mac > More Info and looking to see what the USB device is showing.

Though cannot remember if the USB port info still shows after the OS shut the port off.

Might need to use a Powered USB2 hub for the camcorder.

Though a newer one shouldn't have this problem, but if the camcorder is one of the old USB devices or amongst the first USB2 it might.

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman