Too much quality loss with iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by aHance, Mar 25, 2009.

1. aHance macrumors newbie

Hi there, everyone.

I've been scouring the internet high and low searching for answers to a problem I am having. I have found lots of answers that work for other people... but none that work for me.

Problem: I have a 4.9gb quicktime movie file (not a long movie, but pretty high quality footage). I want to put it onto a DVD with iDVD. However, every time I create a disk image and burn it to a DVD, there is tremendous quality loss in the movie. I've tried messing around with most of the different project settings in iDVD, and haven't had any luck. I've tried compressing the movie to a smaller file with quicktime pro, but, once again, I get too much quality loss.

So, what do you think? Is there a certain conversion I should use with quicktime pro to get a smaller movie file without much quality loss? Is there something in iDVD I should try changing? Do I need to get 7gb DVDs instead of 4.7gb DVDs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Technical details on the source footage you are using please.

It's difficult to get an idea of 'loss' when we don't know what you are converting from.

3. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Sounds like it, yes - you need dual layer DVD-9 (8.5GB) blank DVDs.

Exactly what video format is your Quicktime file? I'm assuming it's not already MPEG-2?

4. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Depends on the length of the video and the extras contained within.

In most cases , consumers will not need dual layer for video if the length is less than 2 hours.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

When you compress to a smaller size you loose quality. No way around that. Use a larger size disc.

6. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

What I'm getting at, is if the OP is using HD source material (or anything above DVD spec), once iDVD converts it into DVD specification, it will loose quality. Increasing the amount of storage on a DL disc won't help at all.

7. dos0711 macrumors newbie

When it asks "do you want to render..." I used to say yes and the video was crap. I said no and it turned out much much better...

8. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

aHance,

To give you a precise answer we need more info on your source material.
    You say it is a QuickTime movie. Open it in QT and press Apple-I to get the information on that file. Post the details in the this thread.

If your source material is native DV or HDV then the bitrate of your source material is in the range of 20 - 27 mbit/s. This creates files of ±10-12 Gb/hour.

Reverse calculation: if your file is 4.7 Gb then it will be around 25-30 mins. Correct?

When "distributing" your QT file to a DVD the bitrate must be reduced to 7-9mbit/s in order to be compliant with DVD specs. In the compression your see that your source material must be reduced with a factor 4.

iDVD does this for you automatically without you having any control over its parameters.
    Compressing footage to a DVD is an art in itself. Read the web how George Lucase does it (frame by frame).
    If you want control ... upgrade to Final Cut Studio. In this suite you will find a programme called Compressor.

Have fun :rolleyes: (hmmmm)

Coen