Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agent mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
I'm about to buy a new mac…I use my 8 year old 24inch iMac for a lot of photo work, InDesign and the usual small stuff.
My desk in my study is 80cm deep (a touch over two and a half feet) and despite spending some time in the apple store this afternoon I can't get over the feeling that the 27 inch monster, despite having better spec, would be just too much on my desk. So I'm tempted to have a 21.5 inch 4K machine instead.
Does anyone whose got the larger screen feel it's sometimes just too big? Or would anyone with the smaller one wish avidly that they'd gone larger?
I know it's horses for courses, but the forums are awash with people who can't make their minds up, and now I'm one of them! Would love a little input. Thank you!!

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
I thought the 27" screen was to big when I first got my 2011 27" iMac, but after a few days it grew on me and it felt just perfect. 70cm deep desk, so shallower than yours.

At work I use either a single 23" or 3 24" (depending on what location I'm at), the single 23" feels way to small for me nowadays. the 3 24" screens are starting to feel fine (felt overwhelming at the start).

I'd say go for the 27", in a few weeks or so you can't imagine going to a 21" one.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
I'm about to buy a new mac…I use my 8 year old 24inch iMac for a lot of photo work, InDesign and the usual small stuff...My desk in my study is 80cm deep (a touch over two and a half feet) and despite spending some time in the apple store this afternoon I can't get over the feeling that the 27 inch monster, despite having better spec, would be just too much on my desk. So I'm tempted to have a 21.5 inch 4K machine instead...

My wife got a 27" iMac, and I was worried it was too large for her small desk, which is 39" (99 cm) wide and 24" (61 cm) deep. I did all the measurements and knew it would technically fit, but feared it would visually be an oversized monstrosity. It looks great and the desk space is no problem, even though she also has Harman Kardon Soundsticks speakers. The iMac is so thin and aesthetically well designed it visually blends in much better than the 27" would indicate.

Just carefully measure the vertical space in case there's an overhanging bookshelf. The iMac 27 is about 20" (51 cm) high from the desktop surface to top of the screen.

This is a personal choice involving many factors, but my advice is don't prematurely reject the 27" iMac. Worse case, you can always return it after a few weeks and get a 21.5" model.

Brandon Ess

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Huntsville, AL
Prior to switching to a Mac, I used dual 24" monitors on my Windows machine. My desktop is used for two primary functions: Network Engineering and college classes. I would pull up an ssh session on one monitor and maybe PRTG on the other, or for school I might have a web browser open on one monitor with my lecture and the other monitor to use Word for writing reports.

When I first got my 27" iMac I assumed I would need a second monitor. But after a few days of using the single 27" monitor, I decided I didn't need two screens. I love having the extra space on my desk since there's only 1 monitor (and no PC tower) and can do everything I need to do with side-by-side apps with plenty of working screen real estate.

I don't know the measurements of my desk to compare to yours, but as far as the 27" "feeling too big" the answer is nope, not at all. If anything, it's the perfect size for productivity and makes my work computer (with dual 22" monitors) feel too small.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I'm about to buy a new mac…I use my 8 year old 24inch iMac for a lot of photo work, InDesign and the usual small stuff.
My desk in my study is 80cm deep (a touch over two and a half feet) and despite spending some time in the apple store this afternoon I can't get over the feeling that the 27 inch monster, despite having better spec, would be just too much on my desk. So I'm tempted to have a 21.5 inch 4K machine instead.
Does anyone whose got the larger screen feel it's sometimes just too big? Or would anyone with the smaller one wish avidly that they'd gone larger?
I know it's horses for courses, but the forums are awash with people who can't make their minds up, and now I'm one of them! Would love a little input. Thank you!!
Why not simply get the VESA mounted version, you won't be able to get it in-store however Apple has it available on their online store. Then you can attach it to the wall, and free up your desk space.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I have a Wacom Cintiq 13HD tablet hook up to my iMac 27 in a room that is approximately 9' x 10', so I know what tight spaces are. :D I recently bought a nice computer desk that organizes the space well that it feels like I have plenty of space. The iMac 27 is streamline enough that it doesn't feeling like it's overpowering the room. In my opinion you won't regret the iMac 27.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.