Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
So ive always got the bigger sized iPhones since they started making them. (the plus's the max's) and now just got a 13 mini. I actually really like the mini ALOT but def am hesitant about it for the battery. I swear for some reason my brain thinks it has to have all the big screens (16 MBP 12.9IPP 13PMax) and i just cannot stop thinking about taking the mini back and getting a 13PM. I really do not think I need it and that it would just be extra. I got the mini because i LOVE the form factor. I love the idea of being minimal with the phone and the fact that it has so much ability is a huge plus! The cameras being the same as my 12 PM is also awesome! Def am weary about the battery life but today has been ok. I guess im just fishing for the "its going to be ok you're going to love having a smaller form factor just be happy that all the other screens in your life are big. and its excessive you do not need it" (that is true as i don't use them for ANY pro things whatsoever) the 13 is fast enough and capable enough (less possibly the battery life) knock some sense into me.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Just give it a few days and then decide based on your real life experience. The mini seems a great device and even if the battery isn’t as big it should recharge in a very short time so you can top it up when needed.

• Love
Reactions: Fthree

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
If you plan on using the phone after two years, I would exchange it for the normal sized version. As someone who uses iPhone 8, I can assure you, battery life is terrible after a couple of years. And I largely feel that Apple created the Mini for kids so it can fit in their hands.

Don’t make this about screen size. Battery size > screen size.

Last edited:

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Indecision is typically a symptom of youth. As you get older and wiser, you’ll know yourself better and exactly what you want.
But I’d rather be young & indecisive than old and wise.
i must be getting older because i knew i was going to get the 13Pmax on my next upgrade but just out of the blue thought the mini would work! .. I knew that the battery would be so so on the mini but with all the reviews actually i believed that maybe my use case would allow for an all day life but its not.... Probably never buy a mini again....

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Sometimes I feel like you too, but luckily I still have big iPhones at home and they're a great reminder that phone should be a phone and not a small but crippled computer. I feel the temptation to use an iPhone with a big screen all the time, but I don't really see a need for it and it's not practical. I'm so much happier with my 13 mini.

Reactions: prazakj and Fthree

Daniel Narciso

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2020
I think the decision between normal size 13/pro or mini will depend on the use but also if there is more devices to complement it. For eg, a mini and an iPad are a great duo sinze the iPad can help giving a good media experience or a long session of email writing.

In my case I bought the 13 pro and I think it can be a jack of all trades. I basically use this as a small computer.
I watch a lot of YouTube/ streams, answer emails, read articles, etc.

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I too got the mini for the form factor (and after having handled a 13 pro I'm so happy I did!), with a bit of worry about battery life. For my usage, which is maybe a little less intense than the average (?), the battery has turned out to be great. The only times I struggle to get to the end of the day is when I use it as hotspot for other devices during the day, but then it turns out that activity by itself uses 30% to 45% of the battery. I'm also not worried about the long run: getting a new battery in three years or so costs something like 75 euros and gives another 2 good years of solid usage.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Go for it what feels you the best. Try it at least for a week or more. I got 13 after using 12 mini (battery wise) and first days was really hard for me. After a week I got used to it. Still sometimes I feel like going back to 13 mini would be better fit for myself, I just scare about that longeivity of a battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.