Too much to ask for smooth web scrolling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aircanman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. aircanman macrumors 6502

Hey all, noticed this getting worse for some reason, Chrome on my 2011 Late MBP is scrolling awfully when on sites which have small amounts of flash content.

Safari is miles better but always has a funny moment every hour or so which renders it useless.

Anyone have any advice for this? Doing my head in having to wait for the sites to fully load before being able to scroll normally.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Seconded. My scrolling got a log smoother, and my battery life improved as well.

4. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love to do this, problem is sites I use have flash, which is a pain in the butt, I do think this is the issue though

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Adblock. I use flash as well. It just blocks the ads.

Even without it Safari runs smooth as butter for me. I think you've got something else going on.

6. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Safari is smooth for me, but I find it can have funny moments when it locks up for no reason :s - Maybe something dodgy going on but it is a new laptop, unlikely to be much up.

7. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I used to have issues with some websites, installed click2plugin and all has been flawless. I just select what flash I specifically want and that's about it. I'm sure there's many better extensions but it was the first one I found so c'est la vie.

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It's weird that you're having a problem like this. I'm running Lion on a 2 year old MacBook Pro and the scrolling is fine. I've used Firefox for a month after Lion came out and then switched to Safari. No problems at all and I've never had a problem where Safari just stops working as you described. Might wanna give Apple a call?

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You can set the plugin so that it automatically allows Flash on the sites you want it to.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You can try to force the discrete GPU. This should help on some websites.

11. bill-p macrumors 65816

Alternatively, get more RAM. Safari in Lion loves RAM.

12. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

A bit left field, but try Magic Mouse - much smoother scrolling.

13. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Its a MBP so I use the trackpad.

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Lion on my 2.53 GHz 2009 Macbook is perfectly fine. Safari never crashes or hangs or gets "dodgy". Scrolling with Flash is unbelievably smooth.

15. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

I have installed Chrome ad blocker and that seems to have made a big difference, I like chrome for the couple of nice little features it adds to browsing, why do they put these silly ads on pages that take so long to load.

16. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

get better internet? are you being serious? I think this topic is solved.

17. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you a mod or something? Nothing up with my internet thanks.

18. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

A webpage is usually about 1-5MB, max. My 15 Mbps connection should handle a 1-5MB file with impunity. However, download speeds are never 15Mbps. They are limited by the site server and the computer's processing power. Internet connection speed is usually not a factor in slow website loading. The server can be having trouble, or the computer/browser cannot handle the content.

19. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

if you read the forum faq/rules, you'd know what I am. calm down. you whining about ads on a website taking forever to load, naturally, it seems like your internet is slow. once again, if you read the faq/rules you would know how to get rid of the ads, at least on this website.

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Thirded. My MacBook Pro with almost 1000 battery cycles now gets 3.5 to 4 hours (up from 2 to 2.5 hours) of battery life with the screen near full brightness, thanks to the flash blocker plugin on Chrome Canary.

21. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not whining about site load time, or ads. My point is that when I bought my first mac 2 years ago, scrolling through sites on Chrome was as good as safari, now it is terrible. My internet is 10mbps and is speed testing at 8.3mbps with an upload of 1mbps, so I am sure the internet is not the culprit.

I am using an i5 MBP which should not have any problems doing what I ask of it, I have also brought my old MBP P8600 out to check and the same thing is happening, so I don't think I am going to be the only person with the problem.

My comment about you being a mod was, how can you say end of thread if you clearly do not know what I am trying to get at?