Price Advice Too much to ask for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Steve.P.JobsFan, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011

Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I'm selling my iMac 20" 2007 with the 2.4GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, and Lion.

According to a few research guides, my Mac is worth around $600.

I've started my eBay auction at $500, is that too much?

2. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Typically, in an auction you start the price pretty low and allow bidders to drive it up. $500 might be a bit much to start at if you're expecting $600. I don't know how much that matters since I usually sell Buy-it-Now on eBay. My suggestion would be to, instead of chancing it on an auction, sell your iMac as a Buy-it-Now or best offer. This way you can set the price and allow potential buyers to give you an offer of what they're willing to pay. You can send counter-offers to buyers, as well. In my opinion, auctions hold too much chance and you're better off staying in control of how the thing sells.

3. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Well, I'm ducked now. There's already been a bidder, at the minimum 500. Once you get a bidder, you can't end the auction. I already planned to sell my old netbook to Gazelle for $48, since I decided to give 10% ($50) to St. Judes, to make up for the donation.

4. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Well, best of luck. You might strike it lucky and get more than you expected.

5. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

6. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I had a link to the auction on eBay, but then SOMEBODY reported my post to the mods, and they complained saying since I was posting a link that it was considered "advertising", and then removed the link. I'll PM it to you.

7. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer