Too much white an issue?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MBX, Jul 14, 2013.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Anyone who already tested iOS7: Is the all white UI an issue, especially at night?

I'm a little disappointed we get no option to switch to dark, hopefully the future jailbreak will give us a "night mode".

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

It takes getting used to, but I personally don't view it as an issue.

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You can always invert colors for a faux night mode :D

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

You mean "accessibility" mode?

If so, that would mean everything is inverted. Even photos/ content pics and not just the UI.

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yes, that's why it is a faux night mode. In all seriousness I don't think the white is an issue, it just takes some getting used to. I had the chance to use a family member's phone running iOS6 and I about died.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

7. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Maybe, yes. Not an issue in terms of usability, but some pages simply look too plain, and the yellow color on the controls for notes app is too hard to see. I like some bits of iOS7 more, but the blandness of some bits needs attention IMHO

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I don't mind it and I'm running ios7 on an iPad too. Your talking sheets of white lol. Most of the time it works

9. irDigital0l Guest

Apple not showing off the black iPhone 5 with iOS 7 shows it kinda is...

White looks better with white.

10. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Nope, no issue.

Do you have issues viewing MacRumors in the dark? Just curious...

If you feel it's too bright, the new control center gives easy access to that setting :)

----------

So you're also implying the white iPhone is ugly when the screen is black or off?

This whole "iOS doesn't match the color of my phone!" thing is completely silly and I can't believe I've seen it mentioned...

The default blue on old iOS was just plain ugly and boring. iOS 7 looks so much better.

11. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

First it was too much grey, then too much linen.. and now too much white.

12. RyanGJ macrumors newbie

Too much white? I never heard from iOS 1-6 that there was "too much black."

13. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

The only white issue for me is the yellow controls on Notes.. I hope this changes prior to release.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Probably because black is easier on the eyes and actually makes things stand out somewhat more making it somewhat better in a sense when it comes to small screens.

Quite a bit more white is certainly more noticeable and annoying at times. I wouldn't say it's an issue, but at lest at times (like darker environments) it can be more noticeable and not as "convenient". You get used to it more and more as you use iOS 7, but that doesn't make it less noticeable when it does "pop" at you at times.

15. irDigital0l Guest

I'm implying that even Apple favors the white iPhone 5 with iOS 7.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The white UI shift is a global design change in technology. Go look at yahoo.com, cracked.com and outlook.com. Lot's of whites everywhere.

17. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Well that just sounds completely ridiculous... I have a black iPhone 5 and I think iOS 7 looks great on it. I've never once thought my OS colors should match the exterior case of any device I've ever owned.

Speaking of cases, I think most users cover up their phones with custom cases anyway, making your point completely moot. Though I personally love the sleek look so I don't use any cases or screen protectors.

That being said, I do think white phones look silly with the screen off, because the black really stands out then. The black iPhones look perfectly sleek and continuous.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Who knew that craigslist.com was totally ahead of the curve leading the industry for years now.

White is the new black.

19. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

No orange is the new black.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

That only applies to Netflix and not Apple (or apparently other leading global sites). ;-)

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apparently. I'm seeing more and more web pages using the borderless white real estate by the day. Cracked.com changed their layout only a few weeks ago.

22. irDigital0l Guest

I just find it interesting that Apple has completely sidelined the black iPhone in showing off iOS 7.

Also if your going to make 'my point completely moot' you need to back up your claim.

23. DanBurns91 macrumors regular

The only place its an issue for me is within the photos app, if you take landscape photos you end up with white borders either side of the photo which is quite distracting

24. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

I'm finding that I like it. Only issue could be on battery life (even post-beta) because many more pixels are kept a lot brighter than before, most constantly.

Pietro

25. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

Lcd pixels draw less power when displaying white because lcd displays have a white led light that needs to be blocked by pixels to generate black, thereby consuming power