Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
London
hi guys

i have a macbook pro bought may 2010. it's been reasonably serviceable, though it's connection to my home wifi has been dodgy quite a bit of the time. Anyway, I'm now busy running an ecommerce business from home, I've reformatted and installed mavericks. but it seems slow, keeps hanging.

is there anything I can do to resolve? I can't run my business like this. but I do'nt really think it's soo old I should just buy another one.

what do you reckon?
J

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
hi guys

i have a macbook pro bought may 2010. it's been reasonably serviceable, though it's connection to my home wifi has been dodgy quite a bit of the time. Anyway, I'm now busy running an ecommerce business from home, I've reformatted and installed mavericks. but it seems slow, keeps hanging.

is there anything I can do to resolve? I can't run my business like this. but I do'nt really think it's soo old I should just buy another one.

what do you reckon?
J

Upgrade the RAM and buy an SSD. The difference with an SSD is night and day (I'm talking about boot-up times in just 12 seconds).

janieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
London
Upgrade the RAM and buy an SSD. The difference with an SSD is night and day (I'm talking about boot-up times in just 12 seconds).

Thanks for the advice. I've never really known how possible hardware upgrades were on a mac as before this I've only every used PCs. I'm capable of installing new hard drives/ram in a PC or laptop, but don't know where to start on my macbook pro. It doesn't look easy to dismantle!

is this something I should get done by an apple store, or do you think I can do it myself?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Thanks for the advice. I've never really known how possible hardware upgrades were on a mac as before this I've only every used PCs. I'm capable of installing new hard drives/ram in a PC or laptop, but don't know where to start on my macbook pro. It doesn't look easy to dismantle!

is this something I should get done by an apple store, or do you think I can do it myself?

iFixit is a good place to start for instructions. Generally, make sure the machine is shutdown first. To access the components, flip it over and unscrew the panel on the bottom. Some screws are long but most are tiny, so don't lose them! The ram is kind of in the middle. It's stacked on top of each other, so you pull the tabs apart to remove each card. The hard drive is in the lower left corner. Loosen the screws in the bracket and lift it out. Careful of the cable! It's fragile and may be worth replacing anyway. You can find them for $20 online.

These aren't really worth paying Apple Genius Bar prices if you already have some knowledge of how to do it. IFixit has guides with pictures to help you do it correctly. The trickiest part will probably be reinstalling your data on the new drive, but the instructions are out there too.

section31

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
I have a 2010 MBP as well. The HDD drive was showing signs of dying so I went ahead and replaced it. I toyed with the idea of getting a new rMBP but decided against it.

In addition I opted to go with a non-SSD since I didn't see the need for my usage. I don't have any regrets with this decision and saved a few hundred dollars.

Replacing the HDD is relatively easy. I'll echo others on this post and say follow the steps as described on iFixit. Take your time and make sure to note where the long screws go and where the short ones are used.

Edit: Felt the need to add this but you may be aware of this already. Make sure you ground yourself before working on the computer. i.e.-discharge any static electricity you may have built up.

Last edited:

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
You might consider a hybrid drive if space and money are an issue. It's not a huge speed boost over traditional hard drives, but it's enough to make a small improvement. It's also worth noting that you may not get the speeds from SSDs as listed because you probably have SATA II not SATA III.

janieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
London
Thanks all for the advice. That's really useful. I need to look into the different drives available and see what I can do. I'm running a business using this mac now, whereas it was just a home machine before. So I need it to work reasonably fast. It's 4 years old now, and I'm hoping some improvements may keep it going another year or so.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
but it seems slow, keeps hanging.

Can you describe your issues in more detail? The 2010 model shouldn't be that slow, and - no matter how slow, it shouldn't hang. It is possible that you have some sort of hardware problem. I suggest you run the hardware test, then run some benchmarks and compare them to averages for your model.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Upgrading RAM and the internal drive in a 2010 MBPro is easy (I have one of those models myself).

One warning:
Be sure you have the right tools for the job.
You'll need a Phillips #00 and a Torx T-6.

Check the ifixit replacement/repair guides.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Check this site.
http://www.macsales.com
You can understand what you can buy for your specific Mac.And even buy from them, I always buy from them.
I have a late 2008 MBP and I did replace the Optical Drive with an SSD that I bough from OWC, maximized the RAM and replaced the internal HDD with a 1TB one.

They have specific instructions with instructions on how to do the upgrades too.

About the Wi-Fi speed, there are several factors that can be causing the slow down.
Time Machine backups running while trying to use the computer is one of them.
Either way having the fastest ISP service is the key for download and upload.
Last year I bought the AirPort Extreme AC and even my Mac's Wi-Fi speed is N, the speed is way better as other clients are not reducing my Mac's bandwidth.
Buying a newer Mac is always a good temptation, specially as you are running a business you can deduct some taxes in you are in the US as part of your business operating costs, so talk to your accountant if you have one.

Last edited:

janieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
London
Check this site.
http://www.macsales.com
You can understand what you can buy for your specific Mac.And even buy from them, I always buy from them.
I have a late 2008 MBP and I did replace the Optical Drive with an SSD that I bough from OWC, maximized the RAM and replaced the internal HDD with a 1TB one.

They have specific instructions with instructions on how to do the upgrades too.

About the Wi-Fi speed, there are several factors that can be causing the slow down.
Time Machine backups running while trying to use the computer is one of them.
Either way having the fastest ISP service is the key for download and upload.
Last year I bought the AirPort Extreme AC and even my Mac's Wi-Fi speed is N, the speed is way better as other clients are not reducing my Mac's bandwidth.
Buying a newer Mac is always a good temptation, specially as you are running a business you can deduct some taxes in you are in the US as part of your business operating costs, so talk to your accountant if you have one.

Thanks. It will be useful to look at that site. The wifi wasn't too slow, it just kept not connecting. Kept giving me annoying messages about the IP address. I was using a time machine (but I've got rid of it now since reformatting) and now have just upgraded to a fibre broadband which is nice and fast.

I won't really get tax benefits from buying a new machine (I'm in the UK) as it's also for home use, and I am just a sole trader and not VAT registered.

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
I have the same Macbook Pro and another one that is 1 year older, and both are running just fine. As you said, the one I bought in 2010 is also a little doggy when it comes to wife connection, and the older one is worse than doggy in this regard. But otherwise they're fine.

As for the slowness you're experiencing, I'm not sure if this also applies to Maverick, but on older OS X, your mac will be slower after a major change in data like upgrading OS and such until it finishes re-indexing all data you have on your HDD or SSD. If this is the culprit, maybe it will go away if you wait a bit more. It may take a very long time on a conventional HDD, though. I never use an HDD anymore, so I don't know if this is still the case on Marverick.

If you're thinking of an SSD, I installed SSDs right away when I bought the laptops, too. I can confirm that the difference between a conventional HDD and an SSD is huge. Actually, the only time my 2009 and 2010 Macbook Pro's are noticeably slower than my 2013 iMac is when I do obviously CPU intensive tasks like video encoding, compiling code, and scientific computing. For the average daily task like text editing and browsing the internet, they're as fast as latest computers or can even be faster than newest desktops with HDDs for some tasks. Unless you encounter some kind of hardware failure, your laptop should last another year for sure.

By the way, I agree that your Macbook shouldn't be too old for home use. But I also think that it may not be the greatest idea to run a business with an old computer with which you're having a major stability problem... Well, it's literally none of my business, so...

janieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
London
Can you describe your issues in more detail? The 2010 model shouldn't be that slow, and - no matter how slow, it shouldn't hang. It is possible that you have some sort of hardware problem. I suggest you run the hardware test, then run some benchmarks and compare them to averages for your model.

I think it's got worse since I reformatted and installed Mavericks. Essentially it just gives me the spinning wheel quite often, particularly when opening applications, but also when I'm typing and just on the internet. I don't really use lots of software that is heavy going or massive files. Just word, excel, evernote, picasa, starting to use filemaker pro.

I shall have a go with the hardware test thanks, I didn't know about that.

BoxsterRS

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Upgrade RAM and SSD

I decided to upgrade my HD to an SSD and ram to 8gb, difference is as another member mentioned night and day. Since then, my computer has not frozen at all. I can do any task with ease and the computer is "depending" on whic specs powerfull enough to be used for any task. If you are on the heavy CPU usage than it wont be the fastest but it will be comparable either way you save a couple of $$ and extend the life of your Macbook Pro. Mine is the 15" and it works like a charm. Hopefully it will last a couple more years as I use it for medicine.

janieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
London
As for the slowness you're experiencing, I'm not sure if this also applies to Maverick, but on older OS X, your mac will be slower after a major change in data like upgrading OS and such until it finishes re-indexing all data you have on your HDD or SSD. If this is the culprit, maybe it will go away if you wait a bit more. It may take a very long time on a conventional HDD, though. I never use an HDD anymore, so I don't know if this is still the case on Marverick.

By the way, I agree that your Macbook shouldn't be too old for home use. But I also think that it may not be the greatest idea to run a business with an old computer with which you're having a major stability problem... Well, it's literally none of my business, so...

Oh that's interesting, it would be good if someone could enlighten me as to if this is correct? is there likely to be a reindexing process ongoing which might speed up after it's finished?

Also, I agree, if my MBP doesn't get better I'll certainly upgrade as I don't want my fledgling business to suffer. But I'd rather see if I can resolve this first, as I don't do a huge amount on the computer. (I'm making vegan truffles/fudge so a lot of my time is in the kitchen!)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Oh that's interesting, it would be good if someone could enlighten me as to if this is correct? is there likely to be a reindexing process ongoing which might speed up after it's finished?

I agree with leman's comment. A 2010, even stock with no RAM upgrades, should not be lagging and hanging like you describe with a fresh install of Mavericks. Try running the Apple Hardware Test mentioned earlier. Also do a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Utility to run repair disk and see what you get. What you are describing sounds a bit like a drive beginning to fail.

As far as the Spotlight indexing... yes a Mavs install would cause a full Spotlight reindex which would make the machine very slow while that is occurring. But that reindex even on a slow machine would be over in a matter of hours.

Also, try making a new temp admin account then login to that account and see if the issues persist. That will tell you if it is something about your account like a login/startup item causing this.

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009

You can check if indexing is taking too much cpu power by using Activity Monitor, which should be located in the "Utiliity" folder in your usual "Application" folder. After opeing Activity Monitor app, click "CPU" on the top (which is the most left button next to "Memory" in the row). Then click "% CPU" (which is right below the "CPU" button) to sort all tasks in order of CPU usage if the list isn't already ordered that way. If you see "mdworker" taking up large percent of CPU power, this is likely the culprit. If you don't have much to index to begin with, it can end simply by leaving your laptop on overnight (at least on older OS X).

Now if you don't see "mdworker" working hard there, then you may be having some serious software or hardware problem. You should do the usual things like running hardware test and such. But:

I think it's got worse since I reformatted and installed Mavericks. Essentially it just gives me the spinning wheel quite often, particularly when opening applications, but also when I'm typing and just on the internet. I don't really use lots of software that is heavy going or massive files. Just word, excel, evernote, picasa, starting to use filemaker pro.

I shall have a go with the hardware test thanks, I didn't know about that.

this sounds like an early sign of HDD failure. You should make a backup first if you haven't already before you do anything about your computer. If it is a hard drive problem, it can die anytime soon. Also, if you hear a clicking sound you hadn't before, it's most definitely HDD failure; soon your Macbook won't be able to even boot.

Also, I agree, if my MBP doesn't get better I'll certainly upgrade as I don't want my fledgling business to suffer. But I'd rather see if I can resolve this first, as I don't do a huge amount on the computer. (I'm making vegan truffles/fudge so a lot of my time is in the kitchen!)

Oh, I just wanted to say 'none of my business" when talking about the business you're running lol I wasn't serious at all. I hope the problem will get fixed soon!

janieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
London
Well I did the hardware test and it didn't find anything. And also looking at the activity monitor didn't show anything obvious either. I think I may look at new ram and hard drive and see how i go. cheers for the advice everyone, very helpful.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014

Why is this always your answer? You are like a broken record. Please tell us how his dodgy wifi connection will miraculously be resolved with an SSD and more RAM? Oh yeah, it won't so your "advice", once again, doesn't apply.

janieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
London
Oops, I didn't read fully that it was just his wifi connection.

Actually, it's not. My original post was worded a little ambiguously. The wifi has always been an issue. Whereas the machine hanging and seizing up has been more recent. Though weirdly it doesn't seem as bad today.

I've accidentally used more than my broadband allowance this month, and so I've paused dropbox and my online backup system. I've also unticked enable malware protection in Chrome as it was being a hog and google flagged it up as a possible issue. I wonder if these things have helped?

By the way, I'm a she, not a he ;-)
J

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Actually, it's not. My original post was worded a little ambiguously. The wifi has always been an issue. Whereas the machine hanging and seizing up has been more recent. Though weirdly it doesn't seem as bad today.

I've accidentally used more than my broadband allowance this month, and so I've paused dropbox and my online backup system. I've also unticked enable malware protection in Chrome as it was being a hog and google flagged it up as a possible issue. I wonder if these things have helped?

By the way, I'm a she, not a he ;-)
J

*turns pink in embarrassment* sorry! :p

Anyway I think you should have a look at upgrading your RAM and SSD first.

SSDs really make a night and day difference (RAM less so unless you use apps that are RAM intensive).

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009

Normally, dropbox etc. shouldn't be a big problem. But since you seem to have more apps going background than you initially described in your earlier post, the speed problem you had experienced may be memory swapping or severe thrashing. You can check if this is the case by using Activity Monitor. Open Activity Monitor like before but this time click "Memory" instead of "CPU." It should look like the first picture of this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5890

At the bottom center, you see the "Memory Pressure" graph. Normally, the graph should be colored all green or amber. But if you see red there, you're using more memory than is physically available on RAM, which can significantly slowdown your computer. If this is the case, you need to install more RAM or try to use less memory by, for example, closing apps you don't need right now and unnecessary tabs on your browser.

I recommend keep Activity Monitor on and regularly check the graph. You may not see red right now, but you might when your macbook becomes clearly and unusually slow next time.

By the way, increasing the amount of RAM will most likely solve the problem if memory swapping/thrashing is the culprit unless you need more memory than your macbook can support. But using "faster" RAM will not. It is humanly impossible to notice the difference in speed by the kind of usage you describe. It's not clear to me exactly what yjchua95 means by "upgrade RAM." But if you see red in the graph, what you need to do is increase the amount of RAM installed on your computer.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Our family computer, an older 2010 MacBook Pro, felt bogged down after the Mavericks update. I recently reinstalled the OS back to Snow Leopard and it's flying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.