Too slow download speed on iMac OSX YOSEMITE

Discussion in 'iMac' started by achex, Jan 28, 2015.

1. achex macrumors newbie

I did a speed test(speed test.net), nothing new still have about 60mb/s, but when I download iOS firmware in iTunes or update an app in the AppStore, it takes 50 min. to download a file that normally takes 10 sec. (Obviously network is not an issue here)

Any fix that any of you techs know? Thank you.

2. maflynn, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems like your connection to the apple servers are the issue and there's nothing you can do. If you're updating your iPhone or iDevice because of 8.1.3, you're competing against a lot of other people

3. achex thread starter macrumors newbie

Very likely yeah, because both downloads were from Apple. I'll try to download from somewhere else and see. Be back with an update. Also the Mac OS is almost done installing so I'll see what's up.
    Thanks.

4. achex, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

achex thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it was much faster downloading from safari. So, I guess you guessed it right.

5. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I had the same experience yesterday which was trying to update to 10.10.2. I have a 180 Mbps connection and it was dog slow to download it. It's Apple servers that are the culprit here. I'm sure they were getting hammered yesterday.

6. eucsstamticc macrumors member

I am having the same issue here today... My connection is not the problem. As mentioned above Apple servers probably getting hammered.

[​IMG]

7. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

I have the same problem. There is something else going on. I researched it and found a fix that worked for me after trying a number of suggestions . I signed up for a VPN account then tried to download iTunes update. It was back to normal download speeds. 8.1.3 since release has been saying 2 days to download. With VPN on it was 18 minutes. If I turn off the VPN connection it's back to dog slow.