Too slow fans in Windows?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ..OLÉ.., Sep 9, 2011.

1. ..OLÉ.. macrumors newbie

I have just bougth a new iMac 2011 27", and have now used Boot Camp to install Windows 7. I am thinking about using it for gaming. I only have one problem, the fan speed is TOO SLOW!! ... and my iMac overheat, my harddrive was at the temp of 55 celsus!!! But my fans was stil runnig at the lowest speed... :O

I have been reading some at the forums, but had no luck! I have tried speedfan to control the speed manually, but it dont find my fans? :S

Annyone have a sulution?

Thanks annyway

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

55C is a very moderate temp and is just fine while running a game. There are sensors in the computer that will shut it down if it senses it's running too hot. Relax and enjoy your computer, the is no problem therefore there is no solution.

3. ..OLÉ.. thread starter macrumors newbie

When the hard drive is at 55 C it should ring a bell, temps over 60 C may cause the hard drive damage! and that is not good!

In Mac OSX the fans automatically adjust and the temp never get this high, there should be a way to fix this when running Windows in Boot Camp...

4. Texran macrumors regular

5. ..OLÉ.. thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, before i installed windows i downloaded the drivers and burned it to a dvd,
    they was successfully installed...

6. redri macrumors newbie

You don't need to worry at all. I own the 2011 iMac 27" 3.4 i7, with the 2gb 6970 myself. I use boot camp for windows 7 to play some battlefield: bad company 2 and i can promise you that the fans will ramp up a lot after a while of playing. And there are sensors that measures the temps in the computer and they will not let you down either. I had one failing in my previous iMac and the fans ramped up to 4000 rpm and stayed there until I took it to an AASP.

What I am trying to say is: Don't worry they will speed up after a while if needed and in games like Battlefield: BC2 they do but it takes some time. In OSX while playing WoW they also speed up but not close to the same as in windows.

As for the hdd i don't think you should worry either. If you got the 1TB Western Digital Black model as I do it will handle an operating temp at 60C. Most of the time when i use the iMac my hdd temp is around 55C.

If you don't have problems there is no need to worry, and if you get problems you are a little unlucky, but thats when you should use your warranty or apple care.

7. ..OLÉ.. thread starter macrumors newbie