Too soon to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UglyLittleSpud, Sep 12, 2009.

  1. UglyLittleSpud macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2009
    #1
    I currently have an early 2008 15'' 2.2 MBP which still suits my needs in every respect. However, I'm sorely tempted by the Unibody 15'' or even the 13'' MBP. Would the 13'' be too small for editing in FCP? Or more importantly, is it just too soon to upgrade if there's no real need beyond just being tempted by shiny new products?
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    I would stick with your current MBP. It still serves you well so IMO there's no reason to buy new one. 13" is quite small for editing so you'd need external monitor. Wait for refresh which should be in early 2010
     
  3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

    tofagerl

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #3
    Honestly I would wait. The Big Processor Upgrade we're all waiting for should happen in jan/feb at the latest, and that would give you a much better excuse to upgrade. If you upgrade now, the processor difference would be smaller than an upgrade from a current MBP to Arrandale or Clarksfield.

    That was a weird sentence. The processor upgrade we're waiting for will be much bigger than any we've seen since 2006, is my point ;)
     
  4. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2009
    #4
    Okay, this makes sense. Waiting till Jan/Feb would work out pretty good as my current MBP is under Applecare until Jan 2011 which means I can wait until Jan and still sell it with a 1 yr warranty. Cool. :cool:
     
  5. shadow1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #5
    I would strongly advise that you wait until the next update as it would have better GPU's and CPU's. There isn't a dramatic difference between early 2008 and the current mid 2009 MBPs
     
  6. spillproof macrumors 68020

    spillproof

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    I don't think you would like downgrading screen sizes of editing video. I'd wait for the next update. Then it will be extra shiny.
     

Share This Page