Too Tricky to Explain Sorry - Please Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Josh Kahane, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

I am really sorry I didn't know at all what to say in the thread title, I couldn't explain it.

Basically, some may have seen I have a thread going at the moment already about designing a wordpress theme. Please ignore that, as that is just one of my options. Im looking at several.

Ok. So, I want to make a website with blog like features. So when I write my reviews which it will show (like blog entries), I want my website (which I'm building in Dreamweaver) to automatically create a new page and push my older reviews/entries onto the new page it makes when the home page is full.

Is something like this possible? If so how complex would it be?

Thanks.

2. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Hey,

I just posted on your other thread and then saw this one. To me it sounds like what you are after is pretty standard blog behavior. Unless I am misreading you, pretty much any blog behaves like this—sort of stacking your posts in order from most recent to oldest. It does not have to be like this, but this is probably the default setting.

WordPress definitely fits the bill here. Blogger too (although I have never used Blogger). Let me know if I am missing something...

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hi :)

Pretty sure I replied in the other thread too. What your after is, as Wee Beastie says above, a blog :)

If you need the theme customised, then you can create your own or work on an existing one by editing the php files and css.

Here is one great tutorial for building your own.

Rapid weaver is another desktop software alternate to Dreamweaver with built in templates and has a blog function. It's just not web based like Wordpress is.

I still think Wordpress is your best option.

/Doug

4. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep I want blog functions. I just wondered as an alternative to wordpress what I would have to do and how hard it would be to make it myself.

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I also think Wordpress is your best option.

I don't think you'll be able to come up with something entirely from scratch since you have to ask, at least, not anytime soon. Making something like that not only requires HTML and CSS knowledge, but knowledge of databases as well as knowledge of some sort of programming language that can interact with those databases(PHP is usually the popular choice).

I'm not saying its not possible, but it sounds like you're not quite there yet to attempt such a thing. If you have the time to learn the rest of the stuff you'll need to know, I say go for it!

But if not...
    An article in Wikipedia lists several alternatives to Wordpress you could look at.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weblog_software

6. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Ride9650 for clearing that up. I guess your right, I don't think Im quite ready for it either, I need to broaden my programming and database knowledge before attempting such a thing, I was just quite interested what in what as needed.

Guess I shall have to persevere with Wordpress. Thanks guys.

7. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Good luck :) Let us know if you need any help!

And let us know when your done so we can all come see ;)

/Doug

8. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't worry. I had an issue but now its fixed, hehe.