Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christurbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Just discovered this neat yet unadvertised feature of IOS8.

My wife called me on my iPhone yet I was using the iPad - and it called!

I took it on speaker and the voice quality was great.

It wirelessly transits VOIP packets over WiFi to from the iPhone to the iPad if your on the same network.

Great stuff :apple:

skallal

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2012
I was also surprised. Got a call on my iPhone this morning, and my iPad also rang. So how do I disable it?

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014

It wirelessly transits VOIP packets over WiFi to from the iPhone to the iPad if your on the same network.

Hardly unadvertised.

I have a hard time remembering that not everyone follows every Apple announcement with my level of obsession. So when updates come out, certain features pleasantly surprise people.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

Also can be done on your Mac (with Yosemite).

Mac Anderson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
I have a small issue. The wrong phone number is linked to my iPad. I have a work iPhone and personal iPhone and somehow the work number is sending calls to my iPad. Maybe because I updated the work phone first? Anyway, I cannot find out to change this! Anyone? :confused:

andrewket

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
I have a small issue. The wrong phone number is linked to my iPad. I have a work iPhone and personal iPhone and somehow the work number is sending calls to my iPad. Maybe because I updated the work phone first? Anyway, I cannot find out to change this! Anyone? :confused:

All three devices are using the same account? If yes, your iPad should ring if either phone is called.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014

From my understanding, for it to work both devices have to have the same icloud account and be on the same wireless network

Look under........ >settings->facetime

There should be a list of all numbers and addresses linked to the devices icloud account. You can check what address you want it to answer and what address you want to show as a caller id number.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I can't seem to get it to work with my retina iPad mini. Try dialing and it just fails to connect. I have the switch enabled on both devices.

Mac Anderson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
From my understanding, for it to work both devices have to have the same icloud account and be on the same wireless network

Look under........ >settings->facetime

There should be a list of all numbers and addresses linked to the devices icloud account. You can check what address you want it to answer and what address you want to show as a caller id number.

All three are under the same iCloud account and all on the same home wifi network. Here is what I am looking at. You can see that the phone number under the iPhone Cellular Calls is not editable. Also, the work phone number is not checked to receive FaceTime calls on my iPad as well.

Attachments

• ipad.png
    ipad.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 111

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL

If you liked that wait till they turn on SMS relay in the near future! Very Cool as well! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.