took a chip out of the screen (MacBook)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DS28, Aug 27, 2008.

1. DS28 macrumors newbie

I was wrangling some wires and the end of a usb cable swung down and hit my screen... just noticed now that I took a tiny chip out of the screen (runs into middle of the forest and screams)

the ding is about 0.5mm big (size of a 10pt period), but it causes a nasty prism effect and it's pretty close to the center of the screen.

Can anyone give me a ballpark replacement cost (if I went to Apple)?

I'm not comfortable replacing the screen myself but if there are other fixes anyone can recommend let me know. I don't know what types of glass/plastic repair gels I could use since it's a glossy screen and not a car window or something

so mad at myself for being careless :mad::confused:

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Well, they'd have to replace the entire screen. On most computers that's a very complicated process (I believe the MacBook has to be almost completely disassembled), so you're looking at $600-$800 for the replacement of the screen.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

if you do it your self it should be around $200.

Oh, and can we get pics?

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I had a friend who replaced his. He went to ifixit.com and it cost him less than $200. They also provide free videos which go into a detail step by step process on how to do it. My friend did it in less than 2 hours and it works perfectly.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah, the screens are not that expensive and there are numerous DIY guides out there.

I've been experimenting replacing hard drives on PB 12 and MBP. Next up a new 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 15.4 inch upgrade to a MBP.

You can do it (or find a techy friend to help).

Obviously, you could buy a replacement MB for $800 or so and sell yours off to someone for $300-$400.

Good luck,

6. DS28 thread starter macrumors newbie

here's the damage.

I guess it's not that bad (in the grand scheme of LCD damage I've seen). I'm always so diligent about keeping my gadgets pristine so I'm just mad at myself.

I'll look into the DIY repair. Would any glass pock filler work?

[​IMG]

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Reminds me of what I did to my iBook except with 2 different gouges. Sucks on any type of display.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Ok, you can probably live with that until you want to buy a new one. Someone will buy it used a year from now and won't mind because of the awesome deal they will get from you.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You'll need a whole new display if you want that fixed. What I think? Ignore it.

10. DS28 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

you can buy a new lcd replacement screen on ebay. I had a friend that did it and said (I can't verify) that it was easy to install.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

It can cost around $200-$250 and if you are not careful you can break the inverter snapping everything back in place. For a blemish that small I wouldn't bother. Eventually the mind will learn to ignore it. :)

Cheers,