Took advice now stuck, cannot activate!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Corbriwild, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Corbriwild macrumors newbie

So I had come here a while back because I bought an iphone from ebay and it came jailbroken. Well I didn't want it to be jailbroken.

So I went ahead and followed the steps but now I can't activate the damn thing because I get the error in iTunes that my sim card is not supported. Does anyone know anyway around this issue? Had the person told me I would have to reactivate my phone I obviously wouldn't have done it but since that's the advice I got and did it I couldreally use some sound advice now.

2. entwife macrumors regular

Good day to you,

By restoring your phone you have restored the original sim lock, so you are going tro need to read up on pwnage etc to get it sorted.

You can unlock it without jailbreaking it, but im presuming the chap from ebat did the lot.

3. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

You can't use a different SIM card on a "locked" un-jailbroken phone that's your problem. The key to getting relevant answers to questions is providing all information...like you have a different sim card.

4. Corbriwild thread starter macrumors newbie

So how can I unlock it without jailbreaking it? I have a piggy back sim that unlocks it but it's still not solving my activation issue. I think the jailbreaking causes issues with my phone which is why I don't want it. When I had it the dock was occasionally disappearing and not coming back etc... I'm sure a phone that hadn't been tampered with wouldn't do that. So that's why I got rid of it. Now I restored it but it's not activated :(

Bear - My original post clearly stated that I had another sim card yet they suggested I restore it anyway. Which is why I'm having troubles now. As for this post I thought it made it more then clear when I said itunes does not recognize the sim. If it were the original sim I obviously wouldn't be having that issue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=595362&highlight=vanilla+iphone

As for my tude, sorry but I am frusterated. Like I said it was due to bad advice that this happened in the first place and now this forum is the only place that I feel I can find an intelligent answer. So rather then telling me what I've done wrong I would deeply deeply appreciate some clear instructions on how to fix my baby.

5. entwife macrumors regular

Is it an original one? if its the 2g model life is sweet for thee, if you check out the iphone hacks forums there is a thread dedicated to this, it will guide you though every step (for both mac and windows users) and tell you everything you need to know (including how to unlock without jailbreaking. A user called Spinstorm (i think) has gone through everything, so read it all, then read it again then do it. Its brilliant and so much better than the sim method.

Also the sim may be the cause of your issues, as my friends have unlocked numerous iphones with the pwnge method and it worked beautifully every time (jailbroken and non-jailbroken), you would also benefit learning how to use it as when apple release another iphone update you wont be able to use it.

Pwnage all the way.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=550964

read and re-read, it will make things better.

6. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

For questions like yours, you need to post in the iPhone Hacks forum where people are familiar with hardware and software hacks. That's why you got the answer you received.

7. Corbriwild thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

All I know concerning the 3G is that you need to downgrade to 2.1. Search the iPhone hacks forum and I'm sure you will find your answer.

9. entwife macrumors regular

right...... you are gonna have fun then,

but pwnage will still activate a 3g but not unlock it.

10. Corbriwild thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying the quickpwn tool now. I guess a working jailbreaken phone is better then a non-working vanilla :(

I'll let you know how it turns out.

EDIT: It's back up and working.

11. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Good job...

12. entwife macrumors regular

aces.