Took my MBP in for repairs, and....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arkanok, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok so I had a problem with the video card failing, and the warranty was extended due to this being a known issue, so I took it into my local Apple Store and left it with them for about 4 days so they could replace the logic board. I finally got it back last night and everything seemed to be working just fine, that was, until I loaded up a full screen movie and noticed something while the screen was completely black. Right in the middle of the screen there is a very faint and somewhat thick (half a cm) line that looks like a faded dark reddish color, and a few circular blotches near the bottom of the screen. Imagine it like this, you have photoshop open and you have a black canvas and you take your paintbrush tool and paint a red line and circles with the opacity at about 10%, that's kinda what it looks like.

Now, I can't see it all with any other colors on the screen like in whites or whatever, nor does it show through normal usage. It really is only noticeable during completely black images with the backlight on. If the backlight is off, it doesn't show.

So does anybody know why this is happening? I mean, I can't figure out if this is something to do with some sort of defect with the new graphics card in the computer or if one of the techs over at the Apple Store damaged my screen somehow. Could it be some of the lcd leaking on the inside?

2. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

It will probably be something wrong with the screen. Take it back to the Apple store ASAP, before it gets worse.

3. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

Wow, that sounds a lot like what I had on my MacBook , oneday there was this weird burn in looking thing in the middle of my screen that you could only see it on a black background, had the screen replaced for free by apple

4. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

It may well be a screen burn type of thing. Are you going to take it back to Apple or what..?

5. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Something similar happened to me when they replaced the lcd on my MBP...I took it back and swapped it out again. Out of curiosity, do you have a MBP with a failing 8600M?

6. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah my 8600 did fail and they just replaced the whole logic board and now that they have, this screen problem occurred.

I wanna take it back to them but I'm really not looking forward to not having my computer again for a few days. Bah, this is really annoying. Plus, the rest of my computer is long out of warranty, so I'm having doubts that they'll even fix it for free and I have a feeling they won't believe that it wasn't like that prior to bringing it to them to fix.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That is a problem. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try and talk to them. It's better to speak to them sooner rather than later so you have an argument that you haven't even used the computer after the repair and now you have a second problem.

8. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah I agree. It's a really big hassle though. Worst thing is that prior to this repair going bad, I've had another repair in this very same macbook pro for the same issue about a year ago, and when I got home with it that time, they didn't put the thermal sensors on properly and the fans would spin full speed no matter what. So I had to bring it in that time too. So I've had 2 repairs both that have had something go wrong directly AFTER the repair.

Honestly, I love Apple, but I have very little faith with their techs that repair computers. I'm almost at the point where I'm gonna talk to the manager and get him to replace my whole damn computer so I can rid myself of this cursed laptop.