Took my rMBP back today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mongol, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Mongol, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

Mongol macrumors member

Had it for a little over a week.

Mainly, I just still could not get over the 15" form factor, and the fact that it's a non upgradable 2k laptop.

I found that using it in daily life would mean I *had* to use a laptop messenger bag, whereas a 11" or 13" with a sleeve would fit into a small non specialized backpack.

Things i enjoyed about it:
    1. the screen
    2. the general speed; really nice for running a droid simulator for android development, which takes forever to load on older laptops
    3. the speakers, these were frigging amazing.

One thing of note, when they did the inspection, they found that there was moisture apparently inside the machine. I definitely did not spill on it, the guy said it was probably sucked in from the fans.

I should note that I live in a very wet city - Seattle. I was shocked to find that out, because I definitely did not use it near any obvious water.

I'm just gonna wait for the 13" retina.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I don't have this problem. I'm not sure why you do...

3. rikbrown macrumors regular

Isn't the only thing that's less upgradable than a normal MBP the RAM?

4. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Good luck...hope you find one that fits you better....

5. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Interesting why somebody would be inspecting inside the computer. Hmmmm.

6. Mongol thread starter macrumors member

The SSD is also non upgradable as far as I'm concerned, because I might be moving to a different part of the world where it may be difficult to receive shipment from places like OWC. It would need to be an official Apple upgrade, or the component would need to be widely available for me to consider it truly upgradable.

----------

The moisture apparently caused some of the diagnostics to turn up weird results.

I had zero problem with using it however, and was shocked that they found moisture inside.

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

So because you MIGHT move to some remote jungle to save the rain forest and not upgrade the SSD when an online company that ships worldwide.... You took it back?

Now that my friends is pure entertainment. :)

8. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I'm with you: 15" is too large for me. I travel light and the extra two inches makes a big difference when it comes to carry-on bags.

I'm very happy with my early 2011 base model 13" MBP. Adding Power Support anti-glare film took care of the glassy display, which is otherwise a deal-killer for me. Some people put-down the relatively low-res display but it doesn't bother me in the least. The money I saved (I got it for $900) went toward a high-end 24" NEC external display. Since I also snagged a very good discount on the NEC my total cost was $1459.

Recently refurbs of my MBP model have been showing up for $799. That's a great deal. :cool:

9. Mongol thread starter macrumors member

that's not the main or the only reason. main reason is the size.

----------

The 13" air is a great machine. It has a longer battery life than the Retina for sure.

I just can't justify getting this year's, because to get the spec I want, it would be $1800 or so, and my old 11" laptop still works, and i would want to upgrade to the 13" retina when it comes out anyways.

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Sounds like you should not have bought in the first place! Everything that you mention as problematic could've been determined beforehand. I feel like people are abusing this 14 day return period! At least there should be a large and quick supply of refurbs?

11. Mongol thread starter macrumors member

There is no way I could have known what having a 15" laptop was like in daily life without actually having one.

My old/current laptop is 11".

Because of how Apple prices their products, I think they are well equipped to deal with returns, because when you charged twice as much as your competitors, people will return it for the smallest issues.

12. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

the 13inch retina wont be upgradable either, and i wouldnt be surprised if its was over 1500

13. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

On the bright side....more stock on the "refurbished" inventory. :D

14. note235 macrumors 6502a

interesting
    i live in seattle also

15. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I don't want this guys, he's obviously liquid damaged it.

16. mac jones macrumors 68040

17. SphericalPear macrumors member

congratulations on this courageous move!

it takes courage to admit a mistake - something that most buyer-posters in this forum often lack.

i hope your return encourages more first-generation impulse buyers to do likewise. this is a good way to give apple direct feedback from the tech mass crowd.

18. Mongol thread starter macrumors member

No, because otherwise, they would not have taken it back.

I didn't see what the guy was talking about, so I have no idea how bad it was.

but it was definitely not anything related to a spill or using it near a wet surface.

it may very well be a design flaw in the fans and thermal system that in a humid environment like Seattle, there is condensation.

For instance, I used it a lot on my carpet, and I live on the first floor. So the rMBP fans suck air from underneath, it may very well be drawing up moisture from the floor.

19. zerotiu macrumors regular

It's not just the humid weather. If you use a notebook near dusty place (carpet for example), it is not a best thing to do..

20. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

That's a pretty massive jump in context. I can imagine a 15" seems unmanageable if you're used to 11"... just like I moved from a 17" Dell XPS that weighs 8+ pounds and the MBPr feels like I could throw it in my back pocket. :)

21. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

@ the local genius bar, I've seen the GeBar people remove their glasses and almost touch their noses to the computer to check for scratches so they could declare damage or abuse and refuse a warranty repair.

OTOH, I've witnessed the same saying "I'll only do this once," and do a non-diagnostic swap on a phone.

(A wonderful bunch of people to deal with.)