Took over someone else's sprint line. No service.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cnotes2019, Dec 1, 2015.

1. cnotes2019 Suspended

Is it because the number hasn't fully transferred over to my account or should the sim still work regardless? I get lte for a split second than drops to no service. I'm in Raleigh NC. THANKS.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

3. cnotes2019, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015

cnotes2019 thread starter Suspended

I haven't contacted them. Prior to taking over the plan they said it would take 3 to 5 days for the number to be transferred to my account. I have the SIM card that the previous owner used. I figure I would wait until it shows up on my account than if I'm still having issues I'll call them up.

Is there something I can do with my iPhone to try to fix this issue? I've tried turning off and on. Resetting network settings. Airplane mode on and off. Also it won't stay connected to my home wifi.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Log in to the account and in the "What do you want to do?" options on the right select Activate phone.

Give the system the IMEI/MEID of your Sprint phone and the serial number of the SIM.

Activate.

Sprint is not like the other carriers. Service is attached to the PHONE and SIM cards are simply used to enable LTE and nothing more.

5. cnotes2019, Dec 1, 2015

The serial number of the sim is the ICCID number right? Thanks!

Found out it is. But I don't see a section in my account that says what do I want to do.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

7. cnotes2019 thread starter Suspended

When I try to choose activate a phone it says I don't have access to that section. Please contact administrator.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sounds like they have not linked you up correctly then or the account you are using was not granted admin access.

If that's the case you're going to have to call them.

9. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

And when he calls them, he still won't have access. I would suggest going to the store with the person who's account you took over.

10. cnotes2019, Dec 1, 2015

Why can't they help me if I call? I can't go to the store with the previous owner. I got the line via a transfer account website called cellswapper.com. He lives in ca as that's what was on a address he mailed me the sim.

Couldn't this be because it's not officially transferred to my account yet?

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Could be. I've never heard of the service you used. Usually it's just a transfer of liability over the phone with the other person so I can't say what's exactly going on.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I read through this thread and I am scratching my head. Why would you not just call sprint and see what they're able to tell you? It seams to me you've already spent more time asking random members of the apple community how to activate a sprint phone Ina. Transferred number when any sprint rep should have the right answer for you within minutes of calling.

Forums are a wonderful tool but sometimes, you just have to contact your carrier. This really seems like one of those times.

13. ABC5S, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015

ABC5S macrumors 68040

What he said above ☝︎. Stop rambling on here and call

14. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

You said you aren't the admin for the account.

15. cnotes2019, Dec 2, 2015

I'm the ONLY person on the account. What I said was that message said I wasn't so I'm not sure why it saying I'm not unless it's because the number wasn't completely transferred to my account yet.

And the REASON I posted my question here is to get INFORMATION such as what he gave me. There are things people can do to get their phones working without calling sprint. I've talked to sprint customer service during the transfer and before and it's like they were answering questions but not the questions I WAS ASKING THEM such as verifying the plan was on a two year contract as opposed to lease etc and them telling me I have to create a sprint account AFTER I had already told them I already did that and am familiar with the online transfer of ownership process.... If you don't like my questions oh well lol

If you put your trust in what a rep from any carrier especially sprint says than that's good for you lol

Thanks! I'll do just that

16. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

What you are saying doesn't make any sense. If there is only one person on the account, then that person would have to be the admin. If you aren't the admin, you can't change anything whether you are on the phone or in the place. I doubt that they make easy for someone to "take over" an account without the original account owner being present, as that would be a huge security issue.
    So you trust people on a forum that are making wild guesses about your situation when what you've presented here doesn't make sense. Talking to someone at the carrier who has access to your account and can tell you what the status of it is would seem to be more prudent.

I would have never gotten into a "taking over someone's account" situation in the first place, but assuming I did I would be in the carrier office standing there with them to make sure it was all sorted out correctly before we parted ways. There are tons of threads on here of people that went into shady arrangements and got burned. Hopefully that isn't you.

17. cnotes2019 thread starter Suspended

Folks at S4GRU were a lot more helpful. Thank you to the only one in this thread with actual help!!!

18. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I have no idea what an s4gru is but glad you like it. Some people can't be helped. You got some great advise but don't want to accept it so you choose to criticize those that took the time to read your posts and reply. Good luck with your debacle!

19. cnotes2019 thread starter Suspended

It's not a debacle lol and if you call what you and others said besides one person help than you're misguided....

20. cnotes2019 thread starter Suspended

Fyi s4gru is a SPRINT forum. Look it up why don't you.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am unsure how to respond to this, outside the fact that I would expect a representative of the company I pay monthly to provide me a service to be able to activate that service fully for me. I do not believe that it should be my responsibility to troubleshoot activation which I, as the end user, should have nothing to do with. This should be a simple activation question that a rep who has been with Sprint for any length of time should have an immediate answer to without even having to refer to their troubleshooting guide.

So, how was your issue solved? It's a shame we couldn't help you, but you may be able to help someone with a similar issue in the future by posting your solution.

22. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Why would I look it up? I could care less about Sprint. You use that acronym like it's common knowledge what it stands for to an Apple community.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

s4gru.com

Last refuge of Sprint customers with an interest in wireless communications. These are the people who maintained their Sprint service during the era of "Sprint sucks!" Former howardforums users, former sprintusers.com users.

The site was created by a guy named Robert Herron (who also runs t4gru.com) as well as some other sites in a portfolio of sites he has. Site is also moderated by A.J. Sheppard, a wireless enthusiast and college professor.

It was built as a haven for Sprint customers during the initial buildout of Sprint's Network Vision LTE.

They tolerate no "whining" even though critical dissent/disagreement can be considered whining due to the narrow nature of their rules.

Many users there use more than one carrier (they have a lot of phones) at once.

s4gru operates on donations, which if you donate, entitles you to access to publicly available information that has been collated for you and presented behind their paywall. s4gru also maintains some inside contacts in the nature of Sprint employees and because they call themselves a "non-profit" organization Sprint has not forced them off the internet.

For my own personal reasons (mainly to do with the moderation team) I will never ever register there (although I lurk there) and give them the satisfaction of banning me.

24. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Wow.. thanks for the info.... always interesting how forums get started and grow. I started a smartphone forum that got pretty large back in the Pocket PC and Palm days (thus the origin of my avatar). It all started as an FAQ for one device that another forum moderator asked for a volunteer to build. I built it as a forum and it took off. I ended up buying up and merging with several of the competing forums to gain "device share". Bottom line is when the iPhone came along it pretty much trounced things and my monthly traffic went from about a million uniques a month to a fraction of that over a couple of years time. I ended up selling it off while it still had some traffic and value. Today its kind of a tumbleweed wasteland. The dude that took it over got the brainstorm to change the domain name for it and it killed all the deep links to the site that had taken years to establish.

25. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I sure do hope you get help. I just have to say, when I read this - it made me shiver in my seat.

There are so many cheap options out there...why this one? I hope the previous owner was legit and actually paid for everything.