Took the plunge and bought a 5k iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maflynn, Nov 27, 2015.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well I pulled the trigger and purchased the 3.3GHz M395 iMac. I wish to thank everyone who offered their opinions as I mulled this over. As I said a number of times, this was not going to occur until next year, but then I received an unexpected blessing and I was able to jump on this sooner then later.

I headed out on black Friday and first let me say that I was worked up over dealing with the crowds - I severely over-estimated the crowds. They were virtually nonexistent, at least this morning around 8:00am. Perhaps as the day wore on, people headed out to the malls.

I was a little bummed out that Apple wasn't doing any Black Friday sales, but then I purchased this online using the EDU apple store, since I qualify for the EDU discount (I work at a teaching hospital) and I opted for local pickup. Since Apple doesn't stack discounts, I would have lost out any ways.

Here's my take so far.
    This is one large and gorgeous computer, I have a ton of screen real estate and I'm also hooked up my 24" ACD as well, so now I have a huge canvas to work with. I'm not finished installing the apps, but I have moved most of my data over from my Time Machine backup. I prefer a clean install when getting a new machine. Its not often that I buy a new computer, so the install/configuration is part of the fun.

I loaded Windows onto the iMac as well, but I've done nothing to the environment yet. I'm curious to know how well this could run Fall Out 4.

The only thing I'm not liking so far is the tiny keyboard. I think Apple shrunk the key spacing and of course the key travel. I'll be hooking up my wired keyboard shortly.

IMG_1017.png

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, I went with the stock 2TB fusion drive, that way, I have a better flash drive then the 1TB drive.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

6. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

Many things I regret. But my rImac is not one of them! It may be the best computer of all out there :) Enjoy!

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

not bad, looking to try a 5K iMac shortly. one thing i wish they did with the keyboard was shorten the right shift key and make two full size up/down arrow keys. theyre the two arrow keys i use the most.

that and i hear they only put one lighting charging cable for both the keyboard/mouse o_O odd. though you can use the new keyboard as a "wired" one if you choose.

8. MadDane macrumors 6502a

It looks great. Congratulations with the new machine.

I have only tried the new keyboard shortly at a store, but I also prefer my full sized wired keyboard with the iMac. Have fun :)

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Nice desk set up, and enjoy that wonderful computer!

I do however have an extremely different opinion on the Magic Keyboard. I just love the keyboard the the key travel doesn't bother me at all which surprised me. Before getting mine I thought it might be alike to the 2015 MacBook which thank god it's not. That thing might as well not have keys. But I find the Magic Keyboard has the perfect amount of travel for my liking. Overall I just think it's a pleasure to type on.

10. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was trying to use it, and I may very well revisit it, but I struggled at it. I've been on keyboards since the 80s and I really don't need to look down. I kept having to watch what I was typing and retype with the new keyboard. Its different enough that I was making too many mistakes and slowing me down significantly.

11. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Congrats on the purchase, Mike. I am considering a similar purchase and would be interested in your views on app performance and how the large screen handles photos and photography-related software.

12. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Congratulations Mike, enjoy your new iMac. I forgot to choose the wired keyboard and still prefer that over the new magic keyboard; while I had to return mine, it is a great machine (too much for my needs, but awesome none-the-less.)

13. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm pleasantly surprised by the speakers, I guess I was expecting the small sounding stuff that I get from my rMBP. These are excellent. I'm not audiophile, and these are fine for my needs

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

Not to mention the up/down keys don't work half the time unless you press them in the middle (and I have three of them that all work the same).

That said, I still love the keyboard. :)

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

16. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I booted up windows and obviously, it was installed on the hard drive and not the SSD. Its a little slow, but I can live with that. The 200 hundred dollar upgrade price for the 512GB SSD was such that I didn't feel comfortable spending. I'd spend 200 and I'll still be constrained by space issues. At least with the 2TB of storage, I'm going to be set for a very long time :)

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

So is it a 256GB SSD in there?

Regardless, though, once the VM is booted up and in RAM, it will run fine.

18. -nickx- macrumors member

So, is yours completely quiet or do you here the air fan blowing the whole time, just curious.

19. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, its virtually silent. I run with a drobo mini DAS that is a tad noisy, but once I shut that down, I don't hear a thing.

20. -nickx- macrumors member

Thank you, I will request a second change then. It's really noisy, went to the shop today and can't here a thing.

21. jobs.jdfournier macrumors newbie

I have always hated the apple wireless keyboard. It is unnecessarily small when you at the same time purchased a gigantic 27 inch screen. I prefer the logitech solar apple keyboard. Never charge, full keyboard with number pad. Yes it is not all aluminum like apple's but it functions much better.

22. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

Congrats on the purchase. Would love to hear your thoughts on Lightroom and Photoshop use (if you use them). I am looking at the same machine, but was considering the upgrade to the i7 and to the 512 SSD -- just not sure if it is necessary.

B&H was running a very good deal on the mid 2014 rMBP with 16 gig or Ram and the 512 SSD and dGPU for $1599 and I was very tempted, but ultimately decided that I would probably ultimately be happier with another desktop and getting a smaller, more portable laptop when/if I need one (even if it is less powerful).

Again, enjoy your new machine!