Took the plunge and bought a Preveious Gen MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RMcolder, Oct 18, 2008.

1. RMcolder macrumors newbie

Hello,

Just sharing my story -

The new Macbook Pros are way out of my price range and I can't justify purchasing such an expensive model when all I really need it for is word processing, powerpoint presentations and Photoshop. So I went the clearance route and bout the 2.4GHz MacBook Pro from the previous generation. I am super super concerned about the graphics card failing, but I decided to take a chance because I'm just not interested in buying a PC notebook and dealing with troubles I absolutely know will exist in owning one.

After I ordered from the clearance store (with edu discount), I found that amazon was offering the same model for just over $71 off. When I tried to cancel my order through apple support, they actually offered $75 off before taxes and so I readily took that. I'm disappointed their notebooks no longer come with a remote. Sellers on Ebay currently have them for <$10, so I'll most likely buy from there.

I'm close to having buyer's remorse with this known GPU problem, but it's my own fault - I own a PowerBook G4 1.25GHz and I dropped it a short time ago. One of the RAM slots is now defunct and I seem to be getting a poor connection to the screen (I get a whole bunch of static lines going across it sometimes). Otherwise, this notebook was all aces, zero problems in 5 years. Now it freezes on me every now & then. I hope I'm not disappointed with this purchase.

Is there a site (or thread) someone can refer me to that tracks failure complaints with the 8600s?

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

3. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

It would be easier if I referred you to threads that don't complain about the 8600, :D there's less of them.

4. RMcolder thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm, perhaps I should have been more specific. I have seen a lot of complaints and people like me who are complaining of what may come.

What I am driving at is, is there a site or thread where people have voted as to whether the GPU has failed on them? What is the failure rate?

Also, I keep reading that some people think Apple has fixed the problem on macbook pros made later in the cycle, but I think that is wishful thinking. When I asked an applecare rep about the products potential failure, his answer was something to the degree of, "People in Hollywood are using our products to make their movies and edit all the time and we haven't had any complaints. The failure is rare."

The more I think about it, the more I hate that answer because it sounds so demeaning. "Oh it hasn't failed for the big movie directors in Hollywood so it must be reliable, meaning the rest of the saps who had faulty chips just had a string of bad luck." I've been spoiled with a 15" screen so I didn't want to buy a macbook, and I didn't have enough money to purchase the newer MBPs. Perhaps I'll be paying for this in many ways at the end.

5. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

What did you say to get them to drop $75? I'm in the same boat and looking to get the clearance 2.4Ghz with EDU discount. I would rather buy direct through Apple though because of the free printer deal. Thanks man and congrats!

Here is something to consider about your concern over the GPU. Every Mac I have ever researched has a different problem each revision. Seeing how they just did a MAJOR redesign on the MBP, I don't even want to think about what will turn up wrong with them. Buying a revision A product from Apple of all companies is, in my opinion, risky. The good thing about this GPU problem is Apple has addressed it already and is replacing those bad GPUs.

At least thats what I'm telling myself also as I contemplate pulling the trigger on my first Mac laptop. ;)

6. johnsy macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat- ordered older model, 2.4 from amazon. Now it is in a mail somewhere, expecting delivery Monday or Tuesday.
    I don't think that apple pulled from market already made laptops and fixed them even so, they should be called refurbished, not new. So everything possible. Besides I heard that amazon might have some older stock, so I might get a brick. But I am not sold on new design. If they included fw400 or fw 800 on macbook, better graphics card and trackpad with a button it would be perfect mach for me. Now I think older generation will be way better for me.

7. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

8. johnsy macrumors 6502

where do you get this info? And what does mobile part mean?

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

What kind of BS is that supposed to be?

Anyways, OP...you've got it now have fun with it. Don't worry one bit. The majority of the software video issues have been solved w/ 10.5.5 so make sure you have that. One thing you can do w/ your MBP is do NOT cycle the thing if at all possible. What I mean by that is don't do graphics intensive things (like huge renders of photos & video, multitracking audio...or running power hungry games) then slam that beast into sleep mode. What you're doing there is running the machine HOT then making it cycle COLD immediately. That is suspected to be the problem that causes the soldering to fail on the GPU. If you have to run it hot just don't put it to sleep until it cools down on its own. Another thing some people are doing is not turning their machine off for months, just let it sleep when not in use w/ the odd restart.

There's no proof that ALL the GPUs are faulty and if yours is unlikely then you have 2 yrs min and 3 yrs max w/ AppleCare to have it replaced.

10. RMcolder thread starter macrumors newbie

To get the extra discount, I called the Apple Support line and inquired about canceling my pre-existing order. Typically, they'll say your order is ready to ship and they can process a return label for you. Then, I told them that the only reason I wanted to cancel was because Amazon.com had the same item on their site for $71 less. I'm not sure why the sales rep felt the need to beat the price by $4, but I wasn't going to argue. Beforehand, I got them to include the Apple Remote, but I got cut off (dang At&t signal!) and thus had to work with a different sales rep. It took me 2 extra phone calls to find a receptive Apple Sales Rep but it was worth it.

Chances are, they can do the same for you + more. Tell them that you can also get guaranteed 2-day shipping and I bet they will expedite your order. You are not lying since if you sign-up for the 1-month free trial of amazon.com prime, you can get free 2-day shipping. I'm sure the $75 and shipping is a drop-in-the-bucket for apple, but it is nice to be accommodated.

Aaaargh, I would still have $1440 in my pocket had I not dropped by powerbook G4. My trusty reliable G4. Saying "I'm sorry" isn't going to patch-up this relationship. :(

11. jTreu macrumors 6502

Great laptop right? I love my 2.5, it's my first pro. I wouldn't worry about the GPU now that apple has admitted the defect formally.

12. RMcolder thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I agree with you. I know that poster was just trying to help, but those figures are suspect - where the heck did they come from?

I'm not a gamer - unless an addiction to 8-bit NES Tetris counts - and I think the largest RAM intensive programs I use are iPhoto and products by Adobe. My fear is that I'll be in the middle of a big PowerPoint Presentation and the GPU will stop working. I don't think that would directly affect any MS programs, but I guess you never know.

So i guess what you're saying is that not shutting your computer down for months is bad? Having "only" 2 years to replace the GPU is difficult me to swallow since my G4 never had any problems. Superb and reliable machine for my needs. Thanks for your advice.