Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
.....but did it onto a 64GB USB drive. Installation went smoothly and didn't seem to cause any issues with my existing Mavericks install so all good.

There's a few lags, but I'd expect that running from a USB so not overly concerned. First impressions? Seems ok. Running quite smoothly, although Spotlght is a bit funky and is only giving local search results. I don't know if that's because the web search component is only available in the US right now or the fact the SpotlightNetHelper (I thnk I remembered that right) is permanently listed as 'Not Responding' in activity monitor. As are SafariNotifications and com.apple.geod

The appearance is a little teletubby but I think that's just because it's new rather than it's just nasty. Although, like quite a few others, I do think the new blue folders are just a bit too much.

I created a new apple/iCloud ID as the install finished so I wasn't tempted to convert my existing account to iCloud drive. Should give me some idea of how stuff works without messing up my current system.

Overall I think I like it, but with a couple of reservations. Mainly the blue folders, and the Safari address bar only showing the main domain a la iOS. I really don't like that on iOS and I'm a bit disappointed it's come to the Mac.

Last edited:

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
.....but did it onto a 64GB USB drive. Installation went smoothly and didn't seem to cause any issues with my existing Mavericks install so all good.

There's a few lags, but I'd expect that running from a USB so not overly concerned. First impressions? Seems ok. Running quite smoothly, although Spotlght is a bit funky and is only giving local search results. I don't know if that's because the web search component is only available in the US right now or the fact the SpotlightNetHelper (I thnk I remembered that right) is permanently listed as 'Not Responding' in activity monitor. As are SafariNotifications and com.apple.geod

The appearance is a little teletubby but I think that's just because it's new rather than it's just nasty. Although, like quite a few others, I do think the new blue folders are just a bit too much.

I created a new apple/iCloud ID as the install finished so I wasn't tempted to convert my existing account to iCloud drive. Should give me some idea of how stuff works without messing up my current system.

Overall I think I like it, but with a couple of reservations. Mainly the blue folders, and the Safari address bar only showing the man domain a la iOS. I really don't like that on iOS and I'm a bit disappointed it's come to the Mac.
I also installed on a USB external (Patriot Supersonic Magnum USB3 stick that is 8 channel). This stick usually is nearly as fast as the PCIe SSD on my MBA using Mavericks but it is TERRIBLY slow with constant beach balls under Yosemite. I thought it might be just Spotlight indexing, but I don't have any programs on the OS besides what it came with and it's been doing this for over 24 hours now. That couldn't be indexing. Very strange.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
Hmmm...so maybe the lags (and yes, beach balls of doom) aren't related to the fact it's on USB then. Thinking about it now, I do remember booting to a failing Mac mini drive over USB 2.0 a while back and didn't experience anywhere near the lagginess I'm getting here. Hadn't thought about that. Like you, it's a clean install with nothing extra added yet, except iTunes 12.

Hmmm.....might have to do some digging, see if it's CPU cycles or I/O throughput that's the problem.

Edit: although, you mention Spotlight indexing. I did notice Yosemite Spotlight is finding stuff on my main drive, in its folders, mail etc and on my external drives so maybe it is the indexing. I'll look at that too. Although I haven't seen anything like the "Spotlight is indexing your system" warning we usually get.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Hmmm...so maybe the lags (and yes, beach balls of doom) aren't related to the fact it's on USB then. Thinking about it now, I do remember booting to a failing Mac mini drive over USB 2.0 a while back and didn't experience anywhere near the lagginess I'm getting here. Hadn't thought about that. Like you, it's a clean install with nothing extra added yet, except iTunes 12.

Hmmm.....might have to do some digging, see if it's CPU cycles or I/O throughput that's the problem.

Edit: although, you mention Spotlight indexing. I did notice Yosemite Spotlight is finding stuff on my main drive, in its folders, mail etc and on my external drives so maybe it is the indexing. I'll look at that too. Although I haven't seen anything like the "Spotlight is indexing your system" warning we usually get.
Thanks Grumpy. Let me know what you find. I'm going to try and reinstall on a partition on my MBA and see if that works better.

PeterHsieh

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Mainly the blue folders, and the Safari address bar only showing the main domain a la iOS. I really don't like that on iOS and I'm a bit disappointed it's come to the Mac.

Just to throw in my 5c worth.. Apple has added the setting to view the whole web address in Safari in the latest developer release (DP5) :)

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Well, I reinstalled the PB on a different USB3 stick (sandisk extreme) and now it works MUCH better. Hardly any page-outs/beachballs or lags (a few but nothing like when using the USB3 Patriot stick).
NOW, the problem is I keep getting installation errors when I try to upgrade to DP5. It gets to "writing files" then I get the "installation failed" error. It actually says to contact the manufacturer...:eek:

Last edited:

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Ok, I FINALLY got the DP5 update to install and it is all working just fine now!
GEEEEZ! Why the SanDisk thumb drive works better than the usually much faster Patriot, I have no idea (really the only difference is that the Patriot is an 8 channel 256Gb and the SanDisk is a 4 channel 64Gb, both are USB 3.0). Anyway, glad to have it all working on my 2013 MacBook Air 13" (i7/8Gb/512SSD) now as I can really get a feel for the new OS...SO far, I like it! :cool:

About the only thing I can think of is that for some reason the SanDisk Extreme 64Gb stick allows Yosemite to manage the Air's 8Gb of memory better than the Patriot Supersonic Magnum 256Gb did. Very strange indeed!

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
Just to throw in my 5c worth.. Apple has added the setting to view the whole web address in Safari in the latest developer release (DP5) :)

That's good to hear. Will look for that making it to the PB (and iOS but I won't hold my breath on that one :D )

Ok, I FINALLY got the DP5 update to install and it is all working just fine now!
GEEEEZ! Why the SanDisk thumb drive works better than the usually much faster Patriot, I have no idea (really the only difference is that the Patriot is an 8 channel 256Gb and the SanDisk is a 4 channel 64Gb, both are USB 3.0). Anyway, glad to have it all working on my 2013 MacBook Air 13" (i7/8Gb/512SSD) now as I can really get a feel for the new OS...SO far, I like it! :cool:

About the only thing I can think of is that for some reason the SanDisk Extreme 64Gb stick allows Yosemite to manage the Air's 8Gb of memory better than the Patriot Supersonic Magnum 256Gb did. Very strange indeed!

From what I saw I don't think it's memory management that's causing my problem, the Memory Pressure in Activity Monitor was barely registering, so my guess is an I/O throughput issue with the USB. I only put it on a USB stick because of the thread about the install messing with partitions and creating logical volumes if installed on a partitioned drive. I've got a 128GB USB SSD I could use but it's partitioned and didn't want to risk losing anything already there. But, maybe I should just move the stuff off and give it a go.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
That's good to hear. Will look for that making it to the PB (and iOS but I won't hold my breath on that one :D )

From what I saw I don't think it's memory management that's causing my problem, the Memory Pressure in Activity Monitor was barely registering, so my guess is an I/O throughput issue with the USB. I only put it on a USB stick because of the thread about the install messing with partitions and creating logical volumes if installed on a partitioned drive. I've got a 128GB USB SSD I could use but it's partitioned and didn't want to risk losing anything already there. But, maybe I should just move the stuff off and give it a go.
I say do it, Grump! It sure is a nice OS when it works.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
OK, done it. It's now on the reformatted 128GB SSD and it seems MUCH happier. No lags (yet) and nippy as a nippy thing sliding down an icy hill. So it seems it must have been the USB drive not fast enough to keep up. Weird for a USB 3.0 but hey ho.

Had an issue installing stuff via the Creative Cloud app but a restart fixed that. SpotlightNetHelper and com.apple.geod are still permanently "Not Responding" in Activity Monitor.

Generally I like the interface still (it's even better without that damned beachball) but I'm still leaning towards the colours etc being a bit too cartoony. Again, that might be just because it's different, so I'm willing to give it a fair go. Still think the folders could be toned down a touch though.

I feel the text in the notification centre (weather, tomorrow summary etc) is a little small. Not looked to see if that can be increased yet. I know of at least one friend who will curse to high heaven he can't read it.

I've activated the dark mode for now, and it seems OK. Luckily very few apps installed so no issues with unsupported menu bar icons.....yet :)

This isn't a Yosemite thing, just a general bug up my butt: I wish we could have more than 8 colours for tags. I've read an explanation as to why we can't but it still bugs me. Petty, yes, but I'm easily distracted.

The tags are interesting too in that Yosemite has imported my tags from the Mavericks install on the internal drive too. Didn't expect that. Nor did I expect the imported tags to still work and find the tagged documents on my main drive. This might be very old news OS X wise but I've not run a system off a USB before like this so it's raised my eyebrows.

I do have a slight graphical issue in Network prefs pane where the icons are cut off: the sidebar isn't wide enough to fit all the info in. Feedback submitted for that one.

Will continue to play and see where we go. But seems likeable enough so far.

Quick question on the BT / Handoff / Continuity debate. It's a late 2012 iMac so should support these features I believe (I don't have iOS 8 but I knew that going in). About This Mac shows Bluetooth Low Energy is supported, but I'm sure I've seen on here somewhere that it should also say somewhere "Continuity Supported: Yes/No" but I can't seem to find this. Any idea where it should be?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 15.53.09.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 15.53.09.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 90

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
The tags are interesting too in that Yosemite has imported my tags from the Mavericks install on the internal drive too. Didn't expect that. Nor did I expect the imported tags to still work and find the tagged documents on my main drive. This might be very old news OS X wise but I've not run a system off a USB before like this so it's raised my eyebrows.

The system is just reading the tags as part of the metadata from the files themselves, such as file size, date modified, position in a window, etc. (or maybe the .DS_Stores). This is so that it's consistent for removable media. For example if you tag a file on a flash drive and take it to another Mac, those tags should still be tied to the file. In your situation, your internal Mavericks volume -with the old tags- is considered "removable media" and can be ejected.

About This Mac shows Bluetooth Low Energy is supported, but I'm sure I've seen on here somewhere that it should also say somewhere "Continuity Supported: Yes/No" but I can't seem to find this. Any idea where it should be?

From what I gather, it used to be in the Bluetooth section of System Information, but was removed in a previous developer preview (DP3 IIRC).

Last edited:

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
The system is just reading the tags as part of the metadata from the files themselves, such as file size, date modified, position in a window, etc. (or maybe the .DS_Stores). This is so that it's consistent for removable media. For example if you tag a file on a flash drive and take it to another Mac, those tags should still be tied to the file. In your situation, your internal Mavericks volume -with the old tags- is considered "removable media" and can be ejected.

From what I gather, this information was removed in a previous developer preview (DP3 IIRC)

Thanks for the explanation. It's straight forward really when you think about it. Just caught me off guard a bit that it had indexed the other drives quite so quick too.

As for the second point , that would explain why I can't find it :D Thanks

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I can't seem to get the Feedback Assistant to work since it upgraded...won't let me sign in. Keeps giving me a times-out error...:mad:

----------

OK, done it. It's now on the reformatted 128GB SSD and it seems MUCH happier. No lags (yet) and nippy as a nippy thing sliding down an icy hill. So it seems it must have been the USB drive not fast enough to keep up. Weird for a USB 3.0 but hey ho.

Had an issue installing stuff via the Creative Cloud app but a restart fixed that. SpotlightNetHelper and com.apple.geod are still permanently "Not Responding" in Activity Monitor.

Generally I like the interface still (it's even better without that damned beachball) but I'm still leaning towards the colours etc being a bit too cartoony. Again, that might be just because it's different, so I'm willing to give it a fair go. Still think the folders could be toned down a touch though.

I feel the text in the notification centre (weather, tomorrow summary etc) is a little small. Not looked to see if that can be increased yet. I know of at least one friend who will curse to high heaven he can't read it.

I've activated the dark mode for now, and it seems OK. Luckily very few apps installed so no issues with unsupported menu bar icons.....yet :)

This isn't a Yosemite thing, just a general bug up my butt: I wish we could have more than 8 colours for tags. I've read an explanation as to why we can't but it still bugs me. Petty, yes, but I'm easily distracted.

I do have a slight graphical issue in Network prefs pane where the icons are cut off: the sidebar isn't wide enough to fit all the info in. Feedback submitted for that one.

Will continue to play and see where we go. But seems likeable enough so far.

Quick question on the BT / Handoff / Continuity debate. It's a late 2012 iMac so should support these features I believe (I don't have iOS 8 but I knew that going in). About This Mac shows Bluetooth Low Energy is supported, but I'm sure I've seen on here somewhere that it should also say somewhere "Continuity Supported: Yes/No" but I can't seem to find this. Any idea where it should be?
Thanks for the info, Grumpy!

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
No issues with Feedback Assistant here after the update. I did find actually updating it to be the tricky part. Initially I got a popup telling me there was an update available which directed me to the appleseed site, which prompted me to download the update and then......404. App Store update worked fine though.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
No issues with Feedback Assistant here after the update. I did find actually updating it to be the tricky part. Initially I got a popup telling me there was an update available which directed me to the appleseed site, which prompted me to download the update and then......404. App Store update worked fine though.

A reboot got it working...:)

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
I have noticed a couple of odd little things in the last day or so:

1) Randomly on reboot the trackpad tracking speed will have been reset to near the slower end

2) When I start the Mac holding <Option> to get the boot options I'm getting an OS X 10.10 Recovery option on USB but no OS X 10.9 Recovery on the main drive.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI

We'll according to this page, those features will require being on the same wifi network. It says nothing about Bluetooth LE. I, for one, hope that is the case as I have an early 2011 MBP without Bluetooth LE. Don't want/need to upgrade, either. :)

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
We'll according to this page, those features will require being on the same wifi network. It says nothing about Bluetooth LE. I, for one, hope that is the case as I have an early 2011 MBP without Bluetooth LE. Don't want/need to upgrade, either. :)

I know there's been lot of discussion on here about the requirement for BT LE for these features, even down to discussing whether they will allow third party BT adapters to provide the functionality on older Macs. Maybe the fact that the listing in BT Preferences for "Continuity Supported Yes/No" went away means they're rethinking that based on how many Macs out there would be shut out of the bigger new features. But, I for one wouldn't be shocked if BT LE was still needed in some form. I believe it's BT LE that initiates AirDrop between iOS devices by detecting the proximity, and I think that will be crucial in detecting iOS device proximity for Handoff and SMS relay etc. But we will see in a few short months how they've decided to do this.

I'm just a bit concerned that some of these Continuity features will be like Photostream currently is for me: hit and miss. I'm nowhere near WiFI for long stretches of the day. If I take a photo and it's a lengthy amount of time before I next connect to WiFi the photo won't always transfer from my iPhone to Photostream. I have a feeling incoming SMS will be the same. It would be nice to think that SMS will sync across the iPhone/iPad/Mac once all on the same network so I can continue a conversation but I can't shake the feeling that they'll only sync if on the same network when the message arrives. But again, we'll see and I'm not going to let it bother me for now. Too busy playing with the other stuff :)

----------

Hmmm.... Installed my FTP app of choice yesterday (Captain FTP) and it won't launch, just continually crashes. I know Yosemite is Beta so I'm not concerned about it.....yet. Just annoying since I was hoping to move some parts of my daily activity over to Yosemite to road test it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.