Took the plunge on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BasilFawlty, Nov 24, 2011.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I had the unfortunate occurrence of spilling water on my 2009 MB. Naturally it was out of Apple Care! I took it to the Apple Store and the "low" estimate was $435 to repair IF the only problem was a fried Logic Board. Well, after thinking about it for a while, I decided to look at new MBPs since my MB was only 2GHz with 2GB memory and was pretty slow at things like Handbrake.

At my local military base exchange they had an early 2011 MBP for $989 (and no tax at a BX). After thinking about it for a week or so, I finally decided to go ahead and fork out the additional $$ to upgrade to the Pro.

Last night I put it on layaway and plan to get it before Christmas (Maybe as early as next week). This MBP is 2.3GHz (not the latest 2.4) and has 4GB memory with a 320GB HD. The HD is a moot point since I will replace it with the new 500GB Seagate Momentus Hybrid that was in my MB (It didn't suffer from the water spill and still works fine). I think it has SL installed, which is fine because I really don't like Lion anyway.

I may still see about getting the MB fixed and give it to my son if it won't cost more than the $435 quote.

2. simsaladimbamba

Even if you would have Apple Care, Apple doesn't repair Macs with water damages for free, as that is not a manufacturing defect but an accident, which is not covered by the warranties Apple provides for their Macs.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Remember before Dec 16th..

I'm pondering an iMac purchase using the same thing and the flyers BX/PX flyers are offering a free apple TV if you buy on Saturday!

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The early 2011 13'' base model is $929 in the apple refurbished store. The new one is 1049 at best buy right now. Both will add tax, so you are getting a good deal I think.

5. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I guess for that I need to buy "Stupid Care" LOL

6. Boe11 macrumors 6502a