took the plunge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zyr123, May 19, 2015.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

new- fully loaded 2015 15 inch retina
    old- base 2011 mbpro 15 inch.

2. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

When do you get it? I'm looking to get the $2500 model to replace my recently sold 2010 MBP but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed with the update (Broadwell would have been nice but was hoping for a nvidia chip). I'm just waiting on benchmarks now.

3. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

October 2011, they really designed the vram for fcp x its supposedly 80% faster now. Would've wanted broadwell but i'm still a happy camper.

4. redb4n macrumors member

Nice! I bought the model with the AMD (no additional upgrades)

This will be my first Mac, I'm super excited

5. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I mean when do you get the new one? I'm interested in benchmarks, specifically graphics benchmarks.

6. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Congrats! I took the plunge - Dell to Mac - in October of 2013 after waiting 8 months for Haswell. My avatar shows the state of my Dell that was being held together by a butterfly clip - NO JOKE!

Many people talk about Apple fanboys as if liking a stable product is a bad things. If being a fanboy is being happy with a solid product, fine with me. I bought the top of the line MBP and it's still performing very well - I've had a couple hiccups during that time, but nothing to make me consider going back to Dells. Also, the performance is still solid. With a Dell, I would have had to reinstall windows just to clean things up and make it perform like new.

I'm tempted to buy a new mac, but not out of necessity. Honestly, I'm glad the processor was not upgraded because that would have been my excuse to purchase a new mac.

7. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

my father got the dell xps 13 for work, he's cfo if you were wondering thats how the two add up. Great computer, if i ever switched to the dark side ewww. it would be the 15 inch version of that.

8. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

That's what I had - the XPS 15 inch. Before that, the XPS 1640. Both times, fully loaded. I'm not quite a mac evangelist because of the cost, but the performance difference is night and day. Let's not forget the weight!

My sister can't seem to avoid viruses and spyware and I told her a mac is what she needs.

9. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

These new XPS laptops with carbon fiber/aluminium body, SSDs and QHD+ screens seem to be quite nice. They're what Macbook Airs should be these days.

In a couple of years, I'll probably regret from buying a base Air with just 4GBs of RAM and a TN display. It's hard to go wrong with these newer XPSs...

10. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

They might be nice, but I think I'd stick with the macs for now. They look great and perform even better.

11. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I bought the 2.8GHz, 512GB, AMD dGPU model. I was tempted to get the iMac, but I like sitting in bed and working on photos rather than at a desk. Plus the 2.5x faster flash made the decision final. (Apple didn't say if the iMacs received double the SSD speed.) Also I couldn't care less about Broadwell, (it's what a 4.3% increase in CPU?) The Iris Pro 5200 still runs circles around the 6100. I like Crystalwell and think it's a great processor and find no need to get a processor that offers such a small increase in anything.

Kal.

12. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816