Tool to check MP4 file compatibility after conversion from MKV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DaPhatty, Apr 22, 2014.

1. DaPhatty macrumors member

Can anyone recommend a tool that will scan a video file and report whether the file itself meets Apple's requirements for playback on the ATV? As I convert my library from MKV to MP4, I am finding that certain movies don't stream so well to the ATV. This typically happens with the larger files (>2GB). The symptoms I am experiencing are quite varied but they all make viewing movies a bit of a hassle.

FWIW, all of my movies were converted using MP4Tools and in most cases, the video files were simply converted by MP4Tools. Only a handful of movies needed to be re-encoded.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

2. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

I have this same issue occasionally when I try to play a video in iTunes that I converted. My solution is to buy a roku and use plex lol

3. mic j macrumors 68030

Since you indicate it is a file size issue, you might try using Subler to "Optimize" the file.

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

I have the same problems sometimes , is not about the file size cause I have movies from 1gb to 12gb
    Maybe something went wrong with your encode , try redoing it

When that happens to me I just download another file , yes you heard right

5. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Use iFlicks with the "itunes compatible" preset

also optimising is good, but won't solve your issue

6. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

There's a free app called MediaInfo that will display all the down-and-dirty specifications of your media files. You can compare that information against the AppleTV audio/video specs to determine whether you need to simply remux from mkv to mp4, or re-encode to make it play nice with the :apple:TV.

Below is a screen grab of the output from one of my movies:

[​IMG]

7. Kenjancef macrumors regular

I use MakeMKV to rip my Blu-ray's to MKV, then I convert to MP4 with Handbrake, using the "Apple TV3" setting, and I haven't had any issues. The one thing I do before Handbrake is to play the MKV file in VLC just to make sure it plays properly, and sometimes I forget to remove an audio language and it will play in French or Spanish.