Tool to measure home network speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rhett7660, Jan 31, 2009.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hi all..

I was wondering if anybody has an recommendations for a software program that gauge how fast my home network is running from point A-B-C-D etc... I am running all wired and I am going from three Mac's to one PC through a router. Not so worried about what I am getting outside the network, more interested on the inside. If this makes sense.

Thanks

P.S. Did a search and found a lot of info on wireless networks not so much wired.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm using speedtest.net on my wired Mac Pro, wireless MBAir and MBP. I use XtremeLabs speedtest on my iPhone. Not sure if this answers your question though..:cool:

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I'll use iStat Pro widget to test network speed while doing a transfer between my Mac and another system. I'll check my link connection with Network Utility, ie 100Mbit/s or 1000Mbit/s, etc.

The Network tab in Activity Monitor will also show some data.

I have heard about, but never used this:
    http://homepage.mac.com/rominar/net.html

Looks like it provides a lot more data, although it's not free.

-Kevin

4. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Kevin..
    Thanks for the info, checking out iStat now..

SFStateStudent..

I think those are more for testing your network speed outside your local lan. I was looking for more for something to test from computer to computer inside my lan. Thanks for the info thou! :)

5. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

iStat.. is ok.. Is there a way to get it out of widget style? So I can have it on my desktop for some testing? I looked in the utility network utility but it really didn't give me what I am looking for.

6. jw2002 macrumors 6502

I use the freeware MenuMeters which lets you display cpu usage, disk activity, network throughput, and memory usage -- all in the Finder menu bar. To get the status you want, click on the Network pane of MenuMeters, then click on "Display Network Menu Meter" and then select Throughput from the format drop-down menu.

7. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Looking into that now. Thank you.

8. Cucumberella macrumors newbie

I use istatmenus - keeps it neatly in the top bar http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/

9. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ahhh.... I see.

Another question, is there something that can give me gui for network speeds from machine 1 to machine 2 and vise versa?