Tool to repair blemishes from chipped lens?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Undecided, May 19, 2015.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

My older iPhone seems to have a tiny chip in the lens (by that I mean the external portion, which technically I guess is the lens cover). Photos have a purple flaw. Zoomed in, it actually looks like the profile of a tiny cockroach!

I can remove this fairly well using the Photos app built-in repair tool, when it's against a regular background, like sky, concrete, fabric and the like. But I need a sharp edged repair tool for when it appears over sharp edges, like bridge support cables and the like. Otherwise, it blurs the sharp edges.

Photography isn't really my thing, so I'm not looking to spring for Photoshop or the like. Other than cropping and adjusting color with the "magic" tool, I don't do much.

Any suggestions though for sharp edged repair tool?

2. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Sorry to be cheeky, not my intention but have you thought about just getting your phone fixed? might be more cost effective in the long run, you wont be trying to shoot round it all the time and spending more time editing it out in post plus it will restore some resale value for it maybe?

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

4. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have, but this older one is unlocked and occasionally I use it internationally with a local SIM. the new one can't be unlocked yet.

----------

Yeah Apple can't fix just that part. I plan to pop into a jewelry store to ask them if they can do anything. But I do still have a bunch of photos with this blemish already.

5. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got Pixelmator for iPad, which works like a charm!

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

paint the chip with black ink. It is not doing anything now but adding some out go focus light. Ccovering with black paint will eliminate the light.

Just paint over the chipped are, not the good part of the lens

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd have to agree with the others, I don't think its worth the work effort, just get it replaced :)

8. Undecided, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, not worth the price an unlocked iPhone would cost. Nor the pain in the butt to carry two phones around when outside the US. Until my current iPhone can be unlocked, I'm stuck using my iPhone 5 internationally. :(

By the way, if you want to see what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

9. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

For less than $100, you can get a decent point & shoot camera.

10. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

That's what I was thinking when the thread was first posted. But you have to consider the reality distortion field, and people here believe their iPhone cameras are better than prosumer DSLRs.

11. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I hear you. Maybe the next version of Photo Shop will include a filter to fix the "reality distortion fielld." :rolleyes:

12. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

OMG. :eek: Guys, you're all missing the point. A $100 camera can't be used as a phone, or for directions, or the web, or text messaging, etc., etc., so it would be a poor substitute for the iPhone. And I don't want to carry around two devices.

You know, just never mind.