Tool to verify disk healt

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lucagfc, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

I' ve a 3,5 HDD installed in external enclosure but I' m not sure if that drive is reliable. I need an application that perform a some read/write test for a long time to see if that drive fail or not. Do you know a utility that does this? I' ve only found Drive Genius but it's too expensive (59.99 dollars!!) thanks!!

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

3. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes but there's not what I' m looking for. I search something that does a long read/write test on my disk not disk repair or SMART status! Thanks!

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

You should check out Spinrite. It's a great HDD maintenance and recovery tool. I use it all the time, but you need an IBM PC to put the HDD in so you can run the program.

5. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I know spin rite but i need a Mac utility. Thanks!

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

There's TechTool Deluxe that should be close to what you want. Mine came with the extended Applecare package, so if you know someone who bought Applecare they should have it. It does 12 different disk tests including linear read and linear write tests on the entire disk. The basic TechTools was available as a download, but I see that's now gone.

I just checked for upgrades, and version 3.1.4 is available. It's 10.7 Lion compatible, and is the final 'free' version that will be released, none will be released for 10.8.

The retail version is TechTools Pro 6, from micromat.com, but it's $100.