Toolkit for Unibody MBP HDD and RAM replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skate71290, Jan 10, 2011.

1. skate71290, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

skate71290 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask - is this good for diassembly of my MacBook Pro (see signature) to replacement the HDD and RAM? Also is there a UK retailer i can get this from? really don't want to have to ship this from America! - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/TOOLKIT11/

2. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

You call that a "cross-head" screwdriver in the UK? In the States, it is known as a Philips head screwdriver. (In Japan, it is called a "plus driver" !) And people say we use the same language....:p
    Actually the OP needs a #00 size, cross-head, or whatever you want to call it, for the screws on the back of the MBP. Careful there, they are really small, and prone to rolling off the desk and hiding in the rug!
    Also a Torx 6 screwdriver for the nuts or lugs on the side of the HD. :cool:

4. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Yeh, it's called a philips here too, but Philips is more of a brand that has given it's name to the product, (like hoover). For the sake of argument, I said cross head :)

You're right about the torx, forgot about that bit - a half decent precision toolkit will have one of those in too.

A great tip I got from some website that takes electronics to pieces for NOT losing screws is: get a length of electrical tape, stick one end to the other so that you get a continuous loop of sticky and put it on your desk. Then you just place the screws on the tape in the order you get them out. Works like a charm.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Agreed. The spudger OWC throws in with their kit is pretty good. It helped me get my old RAM out of my MBP the first time I swapped modules. They wouldn't slide out very easily, nor could I get a good grip on them to pull them out. The spudger helped me get 'em out with hurting them.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Spudgers are man's best friend for electronics as you will almost always need some prying force or pressure force and without a spudger, people use a screwdriver and it leaves scratches which make bunny cry.