Tools for upgrading a Macbook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Belm, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Belm macrumors regular

I know that all I need is a #00 Phillips and a T6 torx but I thought I'd save a couple bucks by buying this. It looks looks kind of cheap to me. Does anyone own it or have another set they'd recommend?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Should be fine... does it tell you exactly what the tools are that are included?
    I doubt you will be using them on a daily basis, so if they do the job, why not?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

It's cheaper than buying them separate and I'll probably only ever use them once. I'm just worried about them being of cheap quality and stripping screws. They already have a bad review and that makes me leery. I'm a paranoid shopper :). It seems like a nice deal though...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

One review and it's a poor one. Not looking good.

5. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

i just needed a really small phillips. the hexagonal? screws from the included HD can just be grabbed and unscrewed with a needlenose.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, I will tell you, I had no problem finding kits with the 00 Phillips, but the T6 was a bit harder. I found nothing at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc. I ended up buying a Kobalt kit at Lowes that had way more than I needed, but did have both the 00 Phillips and the T6 Torx. It wasn't cheap, but it worked flawlessly on my MBP.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. qacjared macrumors regular

When I went to college last year I bought a whole toolset to use for various things it had a knife, sissors, a magnetic screwdriver with 24 bit heads, etc for $20. Best $20 I ever spent.

It had everything I needed to remove the display assemibly from macbook and put it back together.

8. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I found these Husky screwdrivers at Home Depot that come with changeable heads that store themselves in the barrel of the screwdriver. They're like $5, I bought a Phillips and a Torx version, and they come with a good amount of heads.

Good quality.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a few tools but I love this stupid $8.00 stanley precision screwdriver set. That f'er has come in handy at least once a month since I've moved into my place.