tools to do your own repairs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PennCentralFan, May 4, 2014.

1. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

I have the little screwdrivers but I have noticed that I may need other tools if I wish to repair my macbook pro late 2011. I had a little issue recently about a possible lose internal usb hub and I believe that is something I should be able to fix myself.

Is there a tool kit you can buy or what tools do you need and where I can buy them online?

I do not wish to hand my computer over to repair people at apple or anywhere else because I do my taxes, my banking, my billing on my pc and I do not wish to have my computer sitting around in a shop where possible dozens of people will have access to it. I have been the victim of identity theft twice via people stealing my postal mail and it's not a hassle I wish to go through again even if I have to buy a new computer.

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I'm sure all you need is the special screwdriver set to work on the rMBP/cMBP.
    There may also be a kit that has spatulas in for separating some of the "stuck down" parts, but you shouldn't need them for your repair.
    Open her up and find out for sure.
    Also make a note of which holes which screws came out of, because some are longer.

Barney

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member