Tools to manually replace HDD with SDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I've heard of stories of people using wrong tools and whatnot and end up scratching their Mac's. I'm pretty anal when it comes to damaging my new toys so I'm wondering if any one has a list of proven tools that work perfectly for the 2011 MBP.

Oh and also, this is my first Mac ever, so I don't know what the process is when it comes to installing the OS on a brand new HDD/SDD. Is it the same as Windows? Better yet, is there a guide somewhere?

2. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

A screwdriver. Only tool you need. Oh, and some manual dexterity.

3. JT123 macrumors member

I'd have a Phillips #00 screwdriver and a Torx T6.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

yeah, that's not true.

you need a #00 phillips head screwdriver, and a T-6 Torx driver. i got a set with a handle and something like 20 assorted bits from radioshack for under $15, worked great. haven't used it since, but it is nice to know that i have any small driver that i'll need

[​IMG]

i don't know if you have 10.6 or 10.7(ewwww), if it's 10.6 just pop the dvd in after you've installed the ssd and hold option when you turn it on, boot from the dvd, and follow the instructions on the screen. as for 10.7, i don't really know; after trying 10.7 for a few days (and wanting to stab myself in the face with a spoon) i went back to 10.6.X and deleted the 10.7 partiton. I do have a 10.7 VM to keep trying each update hoping i'll like it, but so far 10.7.3 is still a miss. IMO

5. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

So what are a #00 Phillips and a T-6 Torx? Screwdrivers. What did I say? Screwdriver.

So, all you need is a screwdriver... :rolleyes:

6. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

You don't need a Torx screwdriver. You'll be fine with just a normal flat head or whatever they're called.

7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

The Torx is needed to remove the drive screws. While you might be able to use a flathead to remove them, you risk damaging the screwhead. Given you can get a proper set of cheap, but serviceable, screwdrivers at Home Depot, Radio Shack, et al. it makes no sense to risk damaging a screwhead.

Buy an inexpensive external dock such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Diablotek-EN3525D-Drive-Docking-Station/dp/B00346I5LI/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive; or install the OS from the install disk and use migration assistant to move everything over.

The advantage of an external dock is you can boot from the SSD and be sure everything is OK before you install it.

External docks come a variety of types and price points - many of the cheaper ones may not do more than a 1 TB HD; but unless you plan to use it to backup to large disks that is not an issue.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

are you technically correct? debatable, but i don't care enough to argue, so sure. however, you could have said "tools" and been right by your logic...

is your answer the slightest bit helpful? no, not at all. you could have said "tools" and been right by your logic