Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumforfun19

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
wow. yeah I thought the same thing. He makes good, accurate judgements about it. Hopefully Apple will now take these suggestions and improve the iphone... software update anyone?

Devil's Refugee

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Taken from one of the other forum threads but I think it deserves a thread of it's own.

Some of the points are actually very salient, especially for those in Europe.

I rather like the following list of small complaints :

Top 10 mistakes in the Apple iphone interface

http://rake.sh/blog/2007/07/02/top-10-mistakes-in-the-apple-iphone-interface

At first I thought it was just another boo-shouting guy that didn't know what he was talking about, but anyway, judge for yourselves

PS : if it has already been posted, sorry for that.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Some of these are really good points.

One is a limitation of the accelerometer, another couple are bugs, and the SMS icon placement is just a weird personal opinion. Though one should be able to reorganize the icon order IMHO!

But overall, definitely a blog-level opinionated post; take with granules of sodium.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Taken from one of the other forum threads but I think it deserves a thread of it's own.

Some of the points are actually very salient, especially for those in Europe.

I disagree with making the SMS a primary application. You can also send text messages from the phone interface.

He is also wrong about the maps thing. Just tap the bar in the bottom left corner and it goes back to search mode. I have been using this a lot lately.

I am tempted to stop reading on that one, but I will go on.

I agree with #7. Entry into Safari can be a bit wonky, and it can also be hard to see what you are typing.

Can't say not having emoticons is a big deal on the keyboard. More clutter. I guess they could have a triple shift screen, but really not necessary.

Cursor control works fine in most apps but does not function properly in Safari a lot of times. I find it above the screen so you can't actually read the text. In normal circumstances it works well. They need to make it function like in other applications.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Its hard to read that article and not agree with some of his points. I think most of us could agree that in iPhone's initial state there is a ton of room for improvement and I'm sure it will come.

I think these make the top of my list for improvement areas (hopefully in Apple's 1st software update for iPhone:

1. true chat client. Not that it effects me, I went with the unlimited sms plan, but if the people I text use AIM I would imagine they might frown by my persistent and costly sms texting
2. calendar app needs to be easier to add events to (as suggested in the blog above)
3. There should be a way to set pre defined formats for new events just as in iCal on your Mac. (ie, always make new events with alarm 15 min prior)
4.This is a big one for me (Audio out through the dock connecter, what gives?) I almost have the urge to start toting around my iPod and my iPhone because the iPhone doesn't do what my iPod does.
5. Notes app (it's very present and yet very alone in an odd way) it doesn't sync..yet (10.5?) . It just isn't integrated with anything else.
6. Ringtones. either more choice in standard tones or the mp3 choice
7. I would feel much more comfortable if the iPod function of the iPhone had a pause/mute button as an actual button on the outside of the case. That or make a pause button accessible no matter what app you're working with. A small thing that's bothered me is that if I want to quickly mute a song I have to stop anything I'm doing. If i'm typing out an address in maps, or a url in safari, or in the middle of writting an email (remember once you leave those apps they are NOT cached you have to start over) you have to hit the main home key and tap in iPod and then tap pause. Then go back to where you were and start typing all over from scratch.
8. We could use a small storage space with a directory for files that we get in email or that we want to sync with on the mac/pc. If I delete my emails I delete photos, docs, xls etc :::Frown:::
9. Flash plugin for safari
10. Contacts should work more like address book. An alphabetical directory doesn't bode well when you have 300+ contacts and sort them via groups, or smart lists as in Address Book for Mac. I use keywords too. Smart lists or a search box would be very very useful.

Not meant to come off as a rant at all. I'm 10x better off with this phone than any other phone I had. But if we're going to see an update I would love to see these things first. Before games or some other cool app.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Regarding the contacts search problem, when you sync groups from the address book on a Mac, do you have any access to those subsets on the iPhone?

I've been preparing my data for the iPhone and so made several groups in the address book that I would want on the iPhone. i.e. iPhone (all phone contacts), and then smaller groups, Friends, Family, Freqs, Biz (for places I call to order food n stuff).

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
you have access to groups. my statement was misleading and not accurate . It's smart lists/groups that don't appear.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Regarding the rotate, you must hold the phone straight up before rotating. Remember, its done based on gravity ... if its tilted, it can't "fall" down properly. Once you realize this, you can get it to rotated properly every time.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Regarding the rotate, you must hold the phone straight up before rotating. Remember, its done based on gravity ... if its tilted, it can't "fall" down properly. Once you realize this, you can get it to rotated properly every time.

Indeed. That's just a limitation of only having one or two axis of accelerometers versus three. I think the blogger just didn't understand this... but I could see a lot of people getting confused. Then again, it only took me like 10 seconds of being confused before I thought, "Hmm, better tilt it up," and it rotated correctly. :) Am I brilliant or what?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.